These Ramen Noodles are made healthier thanks to the addition of zucchini noodles and a light yet flavorful, spicy chili sauce. These Healthy Ramen Noodles take just 20 minutes to make from start to finish and are loaded with juicy chicken and fresh green onion, transforming this humble noodle bowl recipe into your new favorite dinner.
Ramen Noodles are an incredibly satisfying and flavorful dish that never fails to hit the spot. In this recipe, I’ve swapped some of the ramen noodles for zucchini noodles for a healthier, lower-carb version of one of my favorite noodle bowls. Thanks to the delicious, slurp-worthy chili sauce flavors, you won’t even notice the difference. The best part? You can customize your noodle bowl with all your favorite additions, like shrimp, mushrooms, shredded carrots, and sugar snap peas. And don’t forget the option of an egg on top to take this noodle bowl to the next level.
Spicy Chili Sauce
The spicy chili sauce is what really makes this healthy ramen noodle recipe so perfect. Salty, sweet, and with the perfect amount of umami flavor, it’s perfect! You’ll need the following ingredients:
- Red chili flakes
- Black and white sesame seeds
- Rice wine vinegar
- Soy sauce
- Olive oil
- Toasted sesame oil
How to Poach Chicken
Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the chicken. Boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat, cover the pot, and let the chicken rest for 25-30 minutes. Then, remove the chicken and shred it with a fork when it has cooled down. You can use any cooked chicken for the recipe if you prefer.
How to Make Healthy Ramen Noodles
- While the chicken is poaching, make the chili sauce by whisking together the ingredients in a bowl or jar.
- Cook the ramen noodles according to the package instructions. Do not overcook the noodles; cook just until they start to soften. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the zucchini noodles in a large skillet with olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Add half of the chili sauce and cook for one more minute while stirring to prevent any burning.
- Add the shredded chicken and remaining chili sauce and toss with the ramen noodles and green onions.
- Remove from heat and gently combine the cooked ramen noodles and fresh green onions with the zucchini.
- Garnish with Siracha hot sauce, fresh cilantro, sesame seeds, and more chopped green onions, if desired.
Storage and Leftovers
Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat leftovers in the microwave until heated through. Freezing leftovers is not recommended.
More Delicious Noodle Bowls
- Ginger Garlic Noodle Soup with Bok Choy (Bok Choy Soup)
- Ginger Garlic Miso Ramen Noodles with Poached Egg
- Korean Glass Noodle Veggie Stir Fry
- Spicy Peanut Soba Noodles
- Asian Garlic Noodles
If you try making this Healthy Ramen Noodle Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
Healthy Ramen Noodles
- For the chicken- bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. When the water reaches a rolling boil, gently add chicken breasts and cover pot with a fitted lid. Turn off heat. Allow chicken to cook for approximately 30 minutes in the boiled water with lid on. Carefully remove chicken from the pot to a plate and allow it to cool before shredding with a fork (or fingers). Set aside or store in the refrigerator for later use.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the spicy chili sauce- Add all the ingredients into a medium bowl or mason jar and whisk (or shake) until fully combined.
- When chicken and dressing are prepared, bring a small pot of water to a boil and cook ramen noodles according to package instructions (note- if you’re noodles come with a seasoning packet, discard packet or save for later use). Do not overcook your noodles! When noodles are almost completely cooked, remove from heat, drain and run under cold water to stop the ramen from cooking. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and zucchini noodles to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, or just until zucchini starts to soften. Add half of your chili sauce and cook for one minute more, mixing well and stirring often to prevent burning. Add the shredded chicken and remaining chili sauce and gently toss to coat. Remove from heat and carefully fold the prepared ramen noodles and fresh green onions in with the cooked zucchini noodles.
- Serve garnished with your favorite hot sauce (Sriracha), fresh cilantro and fresh chopped green onions.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)