All the comfort and flavor of Autumn in this single skillet dinner! Made with fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables and chicken, this easy and healthy dish will instantly become a family favorite.
One skillet meals are my favorite. After all, just one skillet means less dishes to wash and less water needed to wash more dishes. But mostly, one skillet usually means that dinner is going to be pretty easy to make.
This Autumn Chicken Skillet with Apples, Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts is no exception. Filled to the brim with all the comforts of fall, this skillet will leave the whole family feeling warm and cozy inside. Just thinking about this dinner fills me with memories of changing leaves, holiday gatherings and shorter days.
Traditionally comfort food has the reputation of having lots of heavy creams, cheeses and noodles- some may even say that a food isn’t comforting unless it’s unhealthy.
Trying to prove otherwise, I’d like to introduce you guys to The New Comfort Food. What is this New Comfort Food, you ask? Let me explain…
The New Comfort Food are meals made with,
- Natural ingredients that are free of additives, preservatives, antibiotics and hormones;
- Use mostly local, seasonal ingredients;
- Contain minimal ingredients in the recipe;
- Made with quick, easy steps and a fast prep time.
Using mostly local, seasonal and fresh ingredients, not all comfort food needs to be unhealthy. This Chicken Skillet is a perfect example. Minimal total ingredients, combined with an easy and fast prep time, everything about this skillet dinner is easy and healthy.
Chicken and Sweet Potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenders or Breasts - cut into cubes
- salt + pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon - divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 large yellow onion - chopped
- 16 ounces Brussels sprouts - trimmed and cut into quarters
- 2 medium sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into small cubes
- 4 apples - I used Fuji and Pink Crisp as they were what was available, peeled, cored and chopped into cubes
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth - start with less, add more as needed
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat (I used my 13-inch cast iron skillet, but any large skillet or Dutch oven will work great). Add olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add your Foster Farms Simply Raised Chicken to the skillet, spreading evenly over the bottom. Season with salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon of the ground cinnamon and dried thyme. Cook until chicken is lightly browned and cooked through- approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, transfer chicken to a plate to rest.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet and add onion, garlic and approximately 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir and cook for approximately 1 minute. Add Brussels sprouts and sweet potato and continue to cook, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook until vegetables are start to soften and Brussels sprouts start to brown, approximately 10 minutes.
- Stir in apples, cinnamon, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook for 1 minute, or until everything is fully mixed. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cook until evaporated.
- Add chicken back to the skillet and stir in fresh thyme. Best served warm.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)
Leave a Reply