This Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe is the perfect way to enjoy the comforting flavors of autumn in a single skillet meal that is both healthy and satisfying. Featuring seasonal fruits, vegetables, and lean chicken breasts, this flavorful dish is sure to become a family favorite.
This easy and delicious one-pan chicken and sweet potato dish is the perfect example of healthy comfort food done right. Packed with flavor from dried and fresh thyme, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, apples, and cinnamon, this dish is sure to warm you up and satisfy your cravings. Plus, with a quick prep time and only one pot to clean, it’s a convenient weeknight meal for the whole family.
How to Make Chicken and Sweet Potato
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and wait for it to shimmer. Add the chicken and season with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and thyme. Cook thoroughly for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
Add the butter to the same skillet, followed by the onion, garlic, and salt. Cook for 1 minute. Add Brussels sprouts and the sweet potato, and continue to cook until they start to soften and the Brussels sprouts turn brown, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in apples, cinnamon, lemon juice, and zest, and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cook until the liquid evaporates.
Add chicken back to the skillet and stir in the fresh thyme. Serve warm.
Leftovers and Storage
Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Leftovers may be served cold or reheated in the microwave until warmed through.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
If you try making this Chicken and Sweet Potato Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
Chicken and Sweet Potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts - chopped into cubes (thighs or chicken tenders OK too)
- salt + pepper - to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon - divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 large yellow onion - chopped
- 16 ounces Brussels sprouts - trimmed and cut into quarters
- 2 medium sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into small cubes
- 4 apples - I used Fuji and Pink Crisp as they were what was available, peeled, cored and chopped into cubes
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth - start with less, add more as needed
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat (I used my 13-inch cast iron skillet, but any large skillet or Dutch oven will work great). Add olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add your Foster Farms Simply Raised Chicken to the skillet, spreading evenly over the bottom. Season with salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon of the ground cinnamon and dried thyme. Cook until chicken is lightly browned and cooked through- approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, transfer chicken to a plate to rest.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet and add onion, garlic and approximately 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir and cook for approximately 1 minute. Add Brussels sprouts and sweet potato and continue to cook, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook until vegetables are start to soften and Brussels sprouts start to brown, approximately 10 minutes.
- Stir in apples, cinnamon, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook for 1 minute, or until everything is fully mixed. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cook until evaporated.
- Add chicken back to the skillet and stir in fresh thyme. Best served warm.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)