It’s an avocado kind of day around here. I know this because my body suddenly feels like it’s about a million pounds, my energy levels are flat on the floor and no amount of coffee seems to be working. Even the sun, so happy and shiny, is making me tired. I would blame it on it being Monday, but I felt this way yesterday, too. Sometimes a good run in the AM helps give me an energy boost, but not today. All I can say about those 6 miles is, thank goodness they’re over.
Since crawling back into bed isn’t an option (ahh, wouldn’t that be dreamy) I’ve decided to jump start my Monday with a super duper healthy lunch instead. In simple terms, it is the ever popular avocado toast. You guys, I sincerely hope the avocado toast/avocado everything craze never ends. It’s been one of my favorites. Anyway, I jazzed mine up a bit with some homemade beet hummus (it was so good I had to make another batch), radish sprouts, crumbled feta and sliced radishes all on toasted rye bread. So simple, and so so good. Every single time I eat an avocado, I fall in love with them a little more.
And I eat avocados a lot! So, I have a pretty big love for this creamy, energy-rich fruit.
Did I feel more energized after eating this lunch? No. Definitely not. In fact, it made me want to sleep more. Not because it was heavy and filling and too much food, but simply because I always get tired after I eat. Don’t worry, I’ll feel the goodness real soon.
What’s your fave way to eat avocado??
- 2 slices of bread - I used rye, toasted
- 1/2 cup Beet Hummus - home made or your favorite store-bought hummus
- 1 avocado - pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup Radish sprouts
- 1 radish - thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Feta cheese - crumbled
- salt + Pepper - to taste
- Spread a generous layer of hummus (approximately 2 tablespoons) over each slice of toasted bread. Layer the remaining ingredients on top of the hummus, starting with the avocado, followed by the sprouts, radish, feta cheese and a small sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Best served immediately.