Red and yellow beets, turnips, and sweet potatoes thinly sliced and baked together with fresh herbs, butter, and freshly grated parmesan cheese in this fresh and delicious Scalloped Root Vegetable Skillet.
If you don’t know this already, let me just share with you a little fact about me.
I love beets. Like, a mad, deep, love. Ok, maybe not that crazy, but, let’s just say I eat them every chance I get (which is ALL THE TIME). For a long time I avoided beets because I had no idea how to cook them, but now that I know how easy they are to simply BOIL or eat raw or roast in the oven, well, let’s just say there is no shortage of this root vegetable in my house.
Anyway, the other afternoon I was reminded that Easter is just a couple weeks away. I may not be hosting the entire meal, but I always plan on contributing one or two dishes to the family party.
I thought about all the usual dishes- potatoes, asparagus, fruit salad, green salad, brussels sprouts, carrots…
It was time to change things up a bit, try something new. And then I remembered beets. Long story short, beets led to different root vegetables (you know, for the color), and this amazing side dish was born.
This root vegetable skillet and all those gorgeous thinly sliced roots and herbs were actually inspired by my Crispy Herb and Butter Roasted Potatoes. It did not disappoint.
On thing to note- you will absolutely need a Mandolin to get these vegetables sliced nice and thin. If they are sliced too thick this dish will take double the time to cook and turn mushy/burnt rather than soft in the middle and crispy around the edges. Mandolins are sold in all price ranges, but I highly encourage you to read reviews and pick a good one! Also, you must MUST wear safety gloves.
The first time I used my mandolin to slice sweet potatoes I ended up with 6 stitches. Don’t be like me.
Scalloped Root Vegetable Skillet
- 6 tbsp butter
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 3 medium red beets, raw, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 medium yellow beets, raw, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 turnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- fresh parsley, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare vegetables. Use a mandolin to slice the red and yellow beets, turnips, and sweet potatoes into thin rounds. Take extra care when slicing and mandolins are SHARP. Set vegetables aside.
- Heat a large 12" cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the butter, garlic, and herbs to the skillet and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and transfer garlic and herb butter mixture to a clean bowl.
- Arrange the red and yellow beets, turnips, and sweet potatoes in a spiraling formation, working toward the center of the skillet.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and remaining butter, garlic, and herbs. Drizzle with one tablespoon olive oil and transfer to preheated oven. Roast for 30-35 minutes, or until vegetables are golden and edges are crispy.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley, if desired.
If you love this Root Vegetable Skillet, you may also enjoy-