Rumored to be the most important meal of the day, start yours with this Banana Mango Smoothie Breakfast Bowl with Bee Pollen and Turmeric.
Smoothie bowls. Let’s be honest, they’re not practical. At least, not really. Smoothies, if you ask me, should be consumed through a straw or, at the very least, from a cup. But, smoothie bowls are super fun to make. So I make them. Like, on the regular and always make a mess of my kitchen in the process. Why? because I need all the seeds and all the nuts and all the fruit.
What is your opinion of the smoothie bowl? Are they just a trend that food bloggers keep dragging out? It’s ok, they are. It doesn’t even bother me because most of the time they’re so darn impressive. This one? This one has nothing on some of the other smoothie bowls out there.
But that’s probably because I actually eat what I make.
Whoa, so sorry for the tangent. These things happen. Especially when I have techno playing in the background while I work.
Before I leave the topic of smoothie bowls, completely, however, I have a few quick things to say about this one:
- There’s bee pollen in there. Ok, I know, another food trend. To be honest, I have no idea if bee pollen is actually good for you. In fact, scientists don’t know for sure either, BUT, everyone is doing it, so naturally, I had to also. duh. There are plenty of warnings about consuming bee pollen, however- especially for those with severe pollen allergies, those who are pregnant or breastfeeding and those on medication for blood thinning.
- My take away from the whole bee pollen story? I just don’t get it. Really, I don’t. And, you’ll probably never see the stuff on this blog again- unless, of course, it makes a comeback (or scientists discover it prevents cancer).
- There is also Turmeric. Unlike bee pollen, Turmeric is legit. Yes, it is most definitely trending at the moment, but there is actual scientific backed research showing that Turmeric may actually do good things. Just remember more is not always better.
OK, now, in other REALLY BIG AND EXCITING NEWS (that hopefully two of you will read)-
Coffee & Crayons is CHANGING to … THE FORKED SPOON. My site is migrating and rebranding! It has been in the works for nearly 8 months and I am so excited to GO LIVE tomorrow (I think).
Please please please stay with me and be patient as I put my big girl blogger pants on and learn my way around the world of WordPress.
So, what can you expect over at theforkedspoon.com?
- Lots of food, all the time. This is not changing. I still love food. Hopefully, you do too.
- A “jump to recipe” button and a “print it” button!! yayyy!
- Super fancy, fully customized recipe index which sorts not just by category, but also INGREDIENT!
- More travel (I’ll get to that later)
- An overall better, more professional website.
Stay tuned 😉
Banana Mango Smoothie Breakfast Bowl with Bee Pollen and Turmeric
- 1 cup orange juice or pineapple juice
- 1 cup milk - (I used 2%)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 banana
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mango
- 1 large golden beet - cooked and peeled
- 1 tbsp honey
- 6 almonds
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- 1-2 tbsp bee pollen
- Additional fruit, oats, chia seeds, bee polled - for topping
- Add the orange juice, milk, yogurt, banana, frozen mango, cooked beet, honey, almonds, cinnamon, turmeric, oats, and bee pollen in the bowl of a high-speed blender. Blend on high for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth, creamy and fully blended.
- Divide smoothie into two bowls and top with additional rolled oats, bee pollen, chia seeds, banana, mango, and coconut chips, if desired. Best served immediately.