This day isn’t even halfway over and it’s already kicking my butt. At some point in the middle of the night last night Juniper and Octavian must have had a little pow-wow (haha, pow-wow, get it?) deciding to make my life as difficult as possible today.
Ok, obviously this was not the case, but seriously, I can’t even handle the two today. And the two of them together? Send the wine! Send all the wine!
Now that my kid is asleep I can see that he was overtired and probably needed his nap an hour earlier today. He was also starving. No, I didn’t starve my kid. In fact, all morning I offered food and asked if his tummy was hungry, but I always got the same answer, “no”. The moment he started throwing toys AT his friend during our playdate I knew it was over. Between the puppy jumping and licking and chewing and Octavian screaming and throwing and refusing to share, I was over it.
I’m not even going to get started on the chaos of breakfast, getting dressed and out the door, the dog park and then the regular park.
But, I’ve had my second latte, Octavian AND Juniper are asleep and the house is quiet again. Time to decompress and get pumped for part two of the day (thank goodness for naps). Since we will be going to the gym when Octavian wakes up, I wanted to eat something for lunch that was light and healthy, but energy PACKED. My solution? SMOOTHIE!
Smoothies are always a great idea, especially before or after a long, hard workout. This smoothie has veggies (spinach, beets and carrots), fruit (mixed berries, banana and mango), yogurt, milk and chia seeds! So much good stuff and it takes just minutes to prepare. And the layers? Kids LOVE it. Octavian thought it was the coolest thing ever and said as I poured the layers on top of each other, “woooooow, Mooomy, dat pwetty”.
Yes, yes, it is.
- 2 cooked beets
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup yogurt plain, Greek, vanilla, blueberry
- 1/2 cup milk of choice almond, soy, cow
- 1/2 cup beet juice
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 banana frozen and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mango
- 1 cup yogurt plain, Greek, vanilla, honey
- 1 cup milk of choice almond, soy, cow
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Fresh berries for garnish
- Prepare the berry beet smoothie- place liquid ingredients in blender first, followed by the spinach and beets and finally, the berries. Start on low and increase speed until fully blended, adding more liquid if needed (milk, yogurt or juice, your choice).
- Prepare the mango carrot smoothie- place liquid ingredients in the blender first, followed by the frozen mango and banana and finally, the chopped carrot. Start on low and increase speed until fully blended, adding more liquid if needed (milk, yogurt or juice, your choice).
- Assemble your smoothie- layer your smoothie in glasses and top with chia seeds and fresh fruit, if desired. Serve immediately.
Note: you will need a high powered, good quality blender for this smoothie since it includes raw vegetables, like carrots. This was prepared in my Vitamix 780 which makes the most incredible, creamy smoothies ever - here is the newest model: Vitamix 3200