Crisp, fresh, and bursting with loads of unexpected flavor, this Garlic Bok Choy Recipe is guaranteed to be your new favorite side dish. Ready in just 10 minutes, enjoy this easy vegetarian side dish with chicken, beef, or fish.
Sometimes the simplest things are the best things. This Garlic Bok Choy Recipe- totally simple, easy, and delicious– is made with just a handful of ingredients including ginger, garlic, and soy sauce. Ready in just 10 minutes, all you need is a hot skillet and a spatula.
What is Bok Choy (Pak Choy)
Bok choy, also known as pak choy or pok choi, is a type of Chinese cabbage, that has smooth, wide, flat leaf blades at one end with the other end forming a cluster similar to that of celery. May be eaten cooked or raw.
What is the between Bok Choy and Baby Bok Choy?
Since several of you have asked, I did a little research and this is what I have found.
- They are basically the same.
- The difference is that baby bok choy is harvested earlier producing smaller, more tender leaves.
- This means that baby bok choy is much sweeter than and is often served directly in soup or in salads.
- Bok choy, on the other hand, is much heartier, perfect for longer cooking times as in stir-frys.
Bok Choy Nutrition
Bok Choy is high in nutrients and low in carbohydrates. As such, it is an excellent option when trying to eat more healthy, low-calorie foods.
- 1 cup raw bok choy- 1.5 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fiber, 9 calories
High in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, and beta-carotene, this wildly popular green is also an excellent source of folate, calcium, and vitamin B6. It is also considered both a cruciferous vegetable and a leafy green vegetable.
Ingredients in this Garlic Bok Choy Recipe
- baby bok choy
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- crushed red pepper (optional)
If you prefer a more mild vegetable side dish, I recommend skipping the crushed red pepper. In my experience, even with jarred, store-bought crushed red pepper, the heat level can be somewhat unpredictable, so unless you love a little extra heat, leave it out.
Other fantastic additions would include crushed ginger, a splash of fish sauce, or a sweet chili dipping sauce.
How to cook bok choy
- We want to keep our baby bok choy somewhat intact, so the first thing we want to do is either halve or quarter each stalk (depending on the size of the bok choy) and wash under cold running water.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat and add the oil. Swirl to coat the entire surface of the pan. As soon as the oil is hot, add the garlic and the shallots, and sautè for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the bok choy, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Toss and cover. Cook for approximately 2 minutes before uncovering, tossing, and covering. Continue to cook the bok choy until white parts reach desired doneness (I have found that this varies from person to person as some people prefer crunchier bok choy, while others prefer a more well-done stir-fry).
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper, if using, and drizzle with additional sesame oil, if desired.
What to serve with bok choy
Aside from how easy this recipe is to make, one of my favorite parts about it is that it goes with just about everything!
- Add some shrimp for a low carb, high protein meal.
- Serve with your favorite chicken or steak and a side of rice.
- Add onions, carrots, bell pepper, and broccoli for a veggie-packed stir-fry the whole family will love.
- Toss with ramen and drizzle with chili sauce for a meal guaranteed to taste better than take-out.
If you try making this 10 Minute Garlic Bok Choy Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
For more bok choy recipes check out,
- Ginger Garlic Noodle Soup with Bok Choy (Bok Choy Soup) <— reader favorite!
- Easy Sheet Pan Thai Chicken with Bok Choy
- Sweet Chili Tofu with Coconut Rice and Bok Choy
- Spicy Stir Fried Tofu with Bok Choy
- Udon Noodle Soup with Bok Choy and Poached Egg
For more Asian-inspired recipes check out,
- Easy Korean Beef Bibimbap Recipe (Mixed Rice)
- Easy Thai Fried Rice Recipe (Khao Phat Kaphrao)
- Bulgogi Korean BBQ Beef Lettuce Wraps
- Pho Recipe- How to Make Vietnamese Noodle Soup
- Kimchi Ramen Noodle Soup (30 minutes)
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
10 Minute Garlic Bok Choy Recipe
- Add the oil to a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl to coat the entire surface of the pan. Add the garlic and shallots, stirring continuously for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the bok choy, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Toss to coat and cover. Cook for 1-2 minutes, uncover and toss, and then cover and continue to cook until bok choy is cooked to desired doneness (approximately 3-5 minutes more).
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- You may use bok choy or baby bok choy for this recipe. If you use bok choy, I recommend chopping into smaller pieces to expedite cooking time.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, substitute regular soy sauce with gluten-free Tamari.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)