This Spicy Stir Fried Tofu with Bok Choy is the perfect healthy and delicious meal the whole family will love!
The other week I realized that I don’t often cook with tofu. I’m not exactly sure why since I actually like the stuff and think it’s a great alternative to meat. Plus (and this is probably my favorite part) I don’t have to wash my hands or clean the countertops if I come in contact with the stuff- unlike with meat.
Because, seriously, when I make chicken I probably wash my hands at least two dozen times throughout the cooking process.
So, I added some tofu to my shopping list and picked up some of the firm stuff while shopping the other afternoon.
This recipe could not be easier! You can prepare it as a meal with rice or as part of a larger meal. In any case, it takes less than 30 minutes and is super delicious.
Now, I love spicy food. So, naturally, I made this tofu super spicy. If having your mouth on fire isn’t your thing, just dial back the gochujang sauce and you’ll be good to go.
Anywho, I got back late Thursday night from the most awesome 3 days spent with Pacific Coast Producers, dietitians and other bloggers learning how fresh fruit and tomatoes go from field to can…all within a few hours. Thanks to this awesome experience, I learned the truth behind canned produce and how it’s bad reputation is largely false propaganda.
This weekend I will be playing catch-up, but can’t wait to share with you everything I learned during my time away- as well as a pretty awesome recipe or two debunking the belief that canned fruit is “bad for you”.
Spicy Stir Fried Tofu with Bok Choy
FOR THE SAUCE
FOR THE SAUCE:
- In a medium bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the tofu sauce and set aside.
FOR THE TOFU:
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. While the water boils drain the tofu and cut into bite size cubes. Transfer the tofu to a colander and carefully pour the boiling water over the top. Pat the tofu dry with a paper towel and transfer to a large zip-lock bag.
- Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil to the bag. Seal the bag and shake to evenly coat the tofu.
- Open the bag and add 1 tablespoon of corn starch. Re-seal and shake to coat. Repeat with the remaining cornstarch, 1 tablespoon at a time, until tofu is well coated.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add the oil. Working in batches, cook the tofu for approximately 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Transfer the cooked tofu to a plate lined with a paper towel and repeat with any remaining tofu.
FOR THE STIR FRY:
- Once the tofu has finished cooking, add the wok choy to the same skillet and cooking for approximately 2 minutes, or until just wilted.
- Add the set aside prepared sauce to the pan with the bok choy and stir well. Add the tofu back to the pan and gently toss well to coat. Cook for 1-2 minutes or just until sauce thickens.
- Best served hot over rice or noodles.