Breakfast can be made healthy with broccoli artichoke Frittata!
Sometimes I make really good food, photograph it and totally forget about it until… 4 months later.
As I was digging through files on my computer yesterday I came across these photos and could not believe I had forgotten I had made (or eaten) this delicious frittata. It may have been four months ago, but I never forget yummy food (especially when it’s easy to make), and boy oh boy was it delicious.
I have made quite a few frittatas over the years and this is easily my favorite.
So what’s going’ on in that scrumptious mess you see? freshness.
Fresh herbs- chives, parsley, and cilantro
You guys, this Italian egg dish will knock your socks off. Plus, it’s a very welcome change from the usual heavy (and super salty) ham, bacon and cheese egg breakfasts that are (also) so amazing.
The best part about this amazing dish is that it’s easy to prepare and great for not just breakfast, but also lunch AND dinner.
Winner winner NO chicken for dinner.
Happy meatless Monday, everyone!
Broccoli, Artichoke and Herb Frittata
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 shallots (sliced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small head of broccoli (cut into small florets)
- 5 oz. fresh spinach
- salt + pepper
- 1/3 cup green onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoon chives (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 15 oz artichoke hearts (one 15 oz can, halved)
- 2.5 tablespoon capers
- 8 eggs (beaten)
- Crumbled goat cheese (optional, omit for dairy free option)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large oven-safe skillet over medium high heat add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once warm, add sliced shallots, minced garlic and a light sprinkle of salt. Mix well. Continue to cook until shallots are soft and garlic is fragrant (approximately 2 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Next, add broccoli to the skillet and mix. Continue to cook over medium heat until broccoli begins to soften (approximately 5 minutes), stirring frequently to prevent the shallots and garlic from burning. Add in the spinach, mix and cook until spinach is wilted. Sprinkle with salt and pepper when necessary.
- While the broccoli is cooking, chop the green onion and fresh herbs. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and mix in the green onions and fresh herbs until combined.
- Once the broccoli is ready, turn heat up to medium high and slowly pour egg mixture over the vegetables. Gently mix the eggs in with the vegetables and top with the halved artichokes and capers.
- Cook over medium heat until eggs have set, but the top is still runny, approximately 3-5 minutes. Meanwhile, set oven to broil (500 degrees F). Once eggs have set, place entire skillet on the top rack under the broiler. Bake until the eggs are fully cooked and golden brown, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven (use an oven mit!) and serve warm. Garnish with chopped green onion, crushed red pepper, and crumbled feta cheese.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)