Crack Chicken Recipe – Creamy, cheesy, delicious baked chicken breasts smothered in an addicting combination of bacon, cheese, and ranch seasoning mix. Baked until golden and bubbly, it’s the perfect easy weeknight dinner for the whole family! Slow Cooker instructions included.
The Best Ever Crack Chicken Recipe
This incredible baked cracked chicken recipe is like nothing you’ve ever made before. You guys, it has all the things – salty bits of bacon, gooey melty cheese, cream cheese, and ranch mix. It’s an explosion of happiness in your mouth. Assuming that you like these things, I’m positive this will be your new favorite chicken dinner.
Some fun things to note about this recipe:
- The main post details how to make this easy crack chicken recipe in the oven. If you prefer to make it in the Crockpot, you’ll find full instructions in the recipe card below.
- It is low-carb but isn’t officially considered a keto-approved recipe due to the canned cream of chicken soup.
- If you prefer not to use canned condensed soup, you can try making my homemade cream of chicken soup.
- Finally, this isn’t the best meal to make if you’re counting calories. It is, however, a comforting, feel-happy, easy dinner perfect for the whole family.
Find the printable recipe with measurements in the recipe card below.
You only need eight ingredients to make this incredibly addictive crack chicken recipe – chicken, cream cheese, canned cream of chicken soup, bacon, shredded cheese, dry ranch seasoning mix, salt, and black pepper. And, since salt and black pepper don’t technically count as ingredients, that means you really need just six ingredients to get this amazing dinner on the table.
A few substitution notes:
- The best substitute for canned cream of chicken soup is homemade cream of chicken soup. You can also make a roux with equal parts melted butter and all-purpose flour, then gradually add chicken broth until the desired consistency is reached.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs may used in place of the chicken breasts. In any case, ensure the chicken isn’t too thick, as this will increase the cooking time. Slice the chicken breasts into two thinner halves if necessary.
- For best results, shred the cheese from a large block rather than using bagged, pre-shredded cheese.
How to Make Crack Chicken
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, then spray a large oven-safe skillet or baking dish with non-stick spray.
2. Mix the softened, room-temperature cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl until smooth, then add the cream of chicken soup, dry ranch mix, black pepper, and salt. Mix well until fully combined.
3. Fold ¾ of the shredded cheddar cheese and ¾ of the cooked bacon bits into the cream cheese mixture. Gently mix until combined. Set aside the remaining shredded cheese and bacon for topping.
4. Season both sides of the chicken breast cutlets with salt and black pepper (garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika are optional seasonings). Transfer the chicken to your prepared oven-safe skillet or baking dish.
5. Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture over the top of the chicken, then sprinkle the remaining cheese and bacon over the top.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly all around the edges and corners, then set the oven to low broil and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese turns golden brown on top. Ensure that the chicken is fully cooked (165℉ as measured with a digital meat thermometer) before serving.
7. Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.
How to Serve Easy Baked Crack Chicken
There are countless yummy and delicious ways to serve this low-carb chicken recipe. Some of my favorites include:
- As a Sandwich – Toast a couple of slices of sourdough bread or your favorite hamburger buns and top with veggies like sliced tomato, avocado, lettuce, red onions, and pickled jalapeños.
- As the Main Dish – These fully loaded chicken breasts are fantastic served over rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes with a small side salad or roasted vegetables.
- Shredded: Easily shred the chicken once it’s out of the oven (or slow cooker; instructions in the recipe card below) and use it as a flavorful filling for baked potatoes, wraps, or tacos!
Allow leftovers to cool before transferring them to an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. For this recipe, I find that reheating in the microwave yields the best results, but you can also reheat in the oven.
Can you freeze leftover crack chicken?
Yes, however, the cream cheese may separate after thawing and reheating. This will not change the flavor but may change its overall creamy appeal. To freeze, allow the leftovers to cool before placing them in a sealed, freezer-safe, airtight container. Freeze for up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight rather than at room temperature for best results. Once thawed, reheat in the microwave or oven until heated.
More Easy Chicken Dinners
- Santa Fe Chicken Recipe
- Chicken al Pastor
- Creamy Chicken Marsala
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Creamy Coconut Milk Chicken Recipe (One-Skillet)
- Garlic Mushroom Chicken Thighs
If you try making this Easy Crack Chicken Recipe, please leave me a comment below! I always love to read your thoughts and feedback!
Easy Baked Crack Chicken Recipe
- 1 (8-ounce) package full-fat cream cheese - softened
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (1-ounce) packet Ranch seasoning mix
- ½ teaspoom ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese - divided
- 6 slices bacon - cooked until crisp, chopped, and divided
- 1½ pounds thinly sliced chicken breasts (chicken cutlets) - about 8 pieces
Baked Crack Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, set aside a large oven-safe skillet or baking dish, and spray with non-stick spray.
- Mix the cream cheese in a medium bowl until smooth, then stir in the chicken soup, ranch dressing mix, black pepper, and salt, and stir until combined.
- Gently fold ¾ of the shredded cheddar cheese and ¾ of the cooked bacon bits into the cream cheese mixture until combined. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, lightly season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared skillet or baking dish.
- Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the chicken pieces, then sprinkle the remaining cheese and bacon over the top.
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese bubbles.
- Set the oven to LOW broil, and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese turns golden brown on top. Check that the chicken is fully cooked (165℉ as measured with a digital meat thermometer) before serving.
- Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.
Crockpot Crack Chicken
- Spray the bowl of a 4-qt or larger slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Add the chicken and sprinkle with the ranch seasoning mix. Cover the chicken with the softened cubes of cream cheese and the canned cream of chicken soup.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours without opening the lid.
- After the 7-8 hours have finished, remove the lid and shred the chicken directly in the slow cooker using two forks.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese and bacon bits over the top of the chicken and cover. Continue to cook for an additional 10-30 minutes, at least until the cheese has melted.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs may used in place of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)