Fresh, summery and as farm to fork as any salad could possibly get, this Fig and Melon Salad is the perfect lunch and dinnertime solution.
My dad surprised us with a weekend visit on Saturday and left just before Octavian went to school this morning. He lives in Los Angeles (about a 6 hour drive) and we don’t see each other enough. It was a very welcome and happy surprise for me, of course, but especially for Octavian who is totally crazy for his Grandpa. In fact, i’m bracing myself for an hour from now when I pick him up from school and he realizes that his “big dog” did, if fact, leave.
Goodbyes are always so hard.
So today, though it hasn’t been a bad day, it’s been an emotional one. There’s a lot more that goes with that, but for now, details don’t need to be shared here.
It was quite fitting when I opened my computer to this salad I photographed (and ate) late last week. Dark, moody and a little sad looking- although don’t let looks deceive you! It is one of my favs!
It was the perfect recipe, set of photos and salad to share today.
Ditching the heavy comfort foods, this salad is the complete opposite. Fresh, healthy and just what the body needs when the heart is a little heavy and the brain is moving too fast. You’ll notice that I did not add a dressing or vinaigrette to this beautiful bed of green and that was very much on purpose. Too many wonderful flavors from the fruits and tangy feta. Dressing, in my opinion, is not needed.
That said, some fresh lemon juice or a (light) drizzle of olive oil is never a bad idea.
Fig and Melon Salad
- 7 ounces mixed greens, I used a mix of baby chard, baby spinach, baby kale and arugula
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted and chopped
- 7 figs, halved or quartered
- 1/2 cantaloupe, seeds removed and chopped
- 2.5 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Olive oil, for drizzling (optional)
- Place mixed greens in a large salad bowl or on a large serving platter. Arrange remain ingredients of top of the greens and gently toss to combine. Serve with freshly squeezed lemon juice and olive oil (optional), to taste. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.