This healthy, veggie and fiber filled green Shakshuka has a little salty, a little sweet and a whole lot of goodness.
The other afternoon I was in the mood to try something different. So, rather than make my normal list and plan out all my meals, I left one blank. All I wrote on my shopping list was, buy all the green veggies.
So that’s what I did. I bought as many green vegetables as I could (within reason, of course), knowing that the purpose was to make something with all of them.
I could have simply sautéed everything together, and, at first, that was going to be my plan. Topped with some shredded parm, of course. But then I starred into my refrigerator and thought to myself don’t be boring.
I put back the parmesan, and took out the eggs, leftover cooked beluga lentils (that were going bad) AND pomegranate arils. Of course, none of these ingredients were part of the plan, but there never really was a plan, so I went with it. Besides, with so much savory goodness going on, I knew the salty yolk and sweet pomegranate would be just the thing to turn this (already) amazing veggie filled dish into something truly incredible.
And it was, you guys.
Truly, one of my favorite egg skillets ever! (And it’s so healthy!!!)
Serve with fresh, crunchy BUTTERED bread and really blow your mind 🙂
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion - diced
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 12 Brussels sprouts - shredded
- salt + pepper - approximately 1 teaspoon each
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion salt - if you have it
- 3 cups kale - (1 bunch) stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 jalapenos - diced
- 3 large zucchini - grated (I used a cheese grater)
- 3 large green tomatoes - diced
- 12 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 bunch fresh parsley - chopped
- 3 fresh spring onions - chopped
- 1 cup cooked beluga lentils - or quinoa/rice/etc.
- 6 large eggs
- .5 cup Pomegranate arils
- 1 avocado - sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook beluga lentils (or grain of choice) according to package instructions. When finished cooking drain and set aside.***
- In a large oven safe skillet over medium high heat add oil. When oil is hot and shimmering and the diced onion and sauté over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until translucent and starting to soften. Add the shredded minced garlic, Brussels sprouts, salt and pepper, ground cumin and onion salt to the onions. Stir well to combine. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- With the Brussels sprouts softening, add the chopped kale, jalapeño, grated zucchini, green tomatoes, spinach, parsley, and spring onions to the skillet. Stir and sauté everything together for 4-5 more minutes, or until all vegetables are fully cooked.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the cooked lentils. Taste mixture and add additional salt and pepper, as needed (I purposely left the seasoning mild in this dish). With everything heated through, and the oven preheated, use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to create 6 wells in the vegetable mixture and crack on egg into each one. Transfer skillet to the oven and allow eggs to bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until cooked to desired doneness.
- Carefully remove skillet from the oven and serve with fresh sliced avocado and pomegranate arils.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)