Creamy Hamburger Stroganoff Recipe made with juicy ground beef cooked in a homemade sour cream and mushroom sauce served over egg noodles. An instant family favorite, learn how to make the absolute best ground beef stroganoff ready in under 30 minutes.
Hamburger Stroganoff Recipe
There are a million reasons to love hamburger stroganoff. Creamy, comforting, and always delicious, this weeknight dinnertime staple earns a place at the top with American goulash, classic beef tacos, and Salisbury steak as one of my favorite, easy, go-to ground beef recipes.
You’ll love this yummy ground beef stroganoff. Filled with lean ground beef, tender mushrooms, and a creamy homemade sour cream and mushroom sauce, it’s one of those comfort foods loved by both kids and adults. I usually serve it over egg noodles, but mashed potatoes or even cauliflower mashed potatoes are phenomenal alternatives.
RELATED: Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Ground Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
- Olive oil + Butter
- Lean ground beef
- Dry sherry
- All-purpose flour
- Broth – chicken or beef
- Full-fat sour cream
- Egg noodles
The ingredients are pretty straight forward, but here are a few frequently asked questions:
Can I use ground turkey? Yes. Ground turkey is a great, lean alternative to ground beef. The flavor may taste a little less beef-like, but it will still be delicious.
What mushrooms should I use? I love making stroganoff with crimini mushrooms. They’re easy to find and moderately priced. They also hold their shape during cooking but rarely feel chewy. White mushrooms are another great option.
Can I skip the flour? The flour is used to thicken up your mushroom and sour cream gravy. You can absolutely leave it out (or thicken your gravy with cornstarch instead).
I don’t like to cook with alcohol, what’s a good substitute? If you prefer not to cook with any alcohol, simply substitute with beef broth, chicken broth, or even water.
What can I use in place of the sour cream? Although sour cream is a pretty key ingredient, feel free to use Greek yogurt instead.
RELATED: Easy Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
How to Make Hamburger Stroganoff
1. Cook the onions and ground beef. Add the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to a large heavy-bottomed pan set over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until just starting to soften. Add the ground beef, breaking into smaller pieces using a wooden spoon or spatula. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until ground beef is browned and cooked. Add the minced garlic and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove beef and onions from the pan and set aside. Drain excess fat from the pan.
2. Cook the mushrooms. Return the same pan to medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and the sliced mushrooms in a single layer to the pan. Sauté the mushrooms until nicely browned, approximately 4 minutes. Remove mushrooms to a clean plate and repeat until all mushrooms have been cooked.
- Do you know how to properly clean fresh mushrooms? Use a damp paper towel to gently remove any dirt. If your mushrooms are really dirty, submerge them in cold water and transfer directly to a soft towel to dry completely. The mushrooms need to be completely dry before cooking.
RELATED: Sauteed Mushrooms (How to cook Mushrooms)
3. Return mushrooms to the pan and make the gravy. Add the mushrooms back to your pan and set over medium-high heat. Season with salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon of paprika, then deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of dry sherry (the flavor is so good). Allow the liquid to reduce by half.
Add any remaining butter to the pan and sprinkle the mushrooms with 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Mix thoroughly until all of the flour has been evenly distributed.
Still stirring continuously, slowly add the beef broth to the mushrooms. Once half the broth has been added, stir in the rest and mix well to combine. Add the ground beef back to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the sour cream. Stir in the room temperature sour cream and bring your stroganoff to a very low simmer – do not boil. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Season to taste and serve.
What to Serve with Hamburger Stroganoff?
In the US, you will usually find beef stroganoff (or this ground beef version) served with egg noodles or some other pasta, but I’ve found that it is also delicious served atop rice or mashed potatoes.
Other delicious sides include,
- Roasted Brussels sprouts or roasted asparagus
- Oven Roasted Green Beans
- Balsamic tomato salad
- Warn and spiced mulled wine or a completely unrelated classic margarita (because margaritas are my fav)
How to Store and Reheat Ground Beef Stroganoff
Your hamburger stroganoff keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. In fact, a little extra time for the gravy and ground beef to mix and mingle really amplifies flavors.
For best results, keep the stroganoff separate from the egg noodles. This, of course, if not required, it just helps prevent the egg noodles from absorbing all the liquid from the sauce.
You can easily reheat this hamburger stroganoff in the microwave or stovetop. If you find that the gravy has thickened after cooling, simply add a couple of tablespoons of beef or chicken broth to the gravy until desired consistency is reached.
More Ground Beef Dinners,
20-Minute Ground Beef Tacos Recipe
Hamburger Soup Recipe (Beef and Macaroni Soup)
Easy Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe
Tater Tot Casserole Recipe (With and Without Canned Soup)
If you try making this Hamburger Stroganoff Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Hamburger Stroganoff Recipe (Ground Beef Stroganoff)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 tablespoon butter - divided
- 1 large yellow onion - diced
- 1 pound ground beef - (I used lean ground beef)
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- salt and pepper - to season
- 16 ounces mushrooms - (white or crimini) sliced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup dry sherry - (or dry white wine or water or beef broth)
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups broth (chicken or beef) - plus more if needed
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream - at room temperature, plus more to taste
- fresh chopped parsley or chives - to garnish
- 12 oz egg noodles - cooked according to package directions
- Add the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to a large heavy-bottomed pan set over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to soften ( approximately 2-3 minutes).
- Add the ground beef to the onions and use a large wooden spoon or spatula to break the beef into smaller and smaller bits and pieces. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until ground beef is browned and cooked. Add the minced garlic to the beef and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove beef and onions from the pan and set aside. Drain excess fat from the pan.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and add the sliced mushrooms in a single layer to the pan. Cook the mushrooms until nicely browned, approximately 4 minutes. Remove mushrooms to a clean plate and repeat until all mushrooms have been cooked.
- Once all the mushrooms have been cooked, add them back to the pan and set over medium-high heat. Season with salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon of paprika. Mix just to combine then immediately add 1/2 cup of dry sherry or white wine (or water) to deglaze the pan. Allow the liquid to reduce by half.
- Add any remaining butter to the pan and sprinkle the mushrooms with 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Continue to cook, stirring continuously, 1 minute.
- Still stirring continuously, slowly add the beef broth to the mushrooms. Once half the broth has been added, stir in the rest and mix well to combine. Add the beef back to the pan, mix well, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sour cream and bring just to a simmer. Reduce heat too low and continue to simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Do not boil.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste and season with fresh chopped parsley, if desired. Serve with egg noodles, pasta noodles, fresh bread, or mashed potatoes.
- If you prefer your onions to be more caramelized, cook for an additional 3-5 minutes over medium-low heat.
- You may also use ground turkey if preferred.
- Nutritional information does not include the egg noodles.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)
Can u freeze
Jessica Randhawa says
As written, it won’t reheat well post-freezer.
To freeze it properly, you would have to modify the recipe to exclude the sour cream and noodles and recombine and recook everything after thawing…
Will be making this tonight and I’ll let you know- thank you!