This Hashbrown Casserole is creamy, cheesy, and easily made using frozen hashbrowns and plenty of yummy melted cheese. Perfect for parties, potlucks, or as a dinnertime side dish, this Copycat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown casserole is guaranteed to be an instant family favorite!
Why This Recipe Works
I can’t think of a more comforting side dish than this cheesy (copycat) Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole. It works for all meals – breakfast, brunch, or dinner – and occasions like holidays or potlucks. Make it in advance or freeze it for lazy days. What I love most, is how easy it is to throw together and how simple the ingredients are – many of which you probably have already!
Ingredient Info and Recipe Modifications
Add protein: This recipe is traditionally served as a side dish, but make it a complete meal by adding cooked ground beef, cubed ham, bacon, or shredded rotisserie chicken.
Crispy Topping: Sprinkle the top with cornflakes (also known as “funeral potatoes”), potato chips, or crushed Ritz Crackers.
Sour Cream: For tangy yumminess, swap the milk for sour cream.
How to Make Hashbrown Casserole
For a full list of ingredients and complete recipe instructions, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a large 9×13-inch casserole dish and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven set over medium heat and sauté the onions until they are softened and translucent.
3. Stir in the flour, garlic, salt, and pepper and sauté for about 1 minute or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
4. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and the chicken soup. Bring to a gentle simmer for 3 minutes, stirring the entire time to prevent burning.
5. Mix the shredded cheddar cheese and Monterey jack cheese in a large bowl. Set aside about 1 ½ cups, or half of the shredded cheese.
6. Remove the pan from heat. Stir in the milk and the cheese left in the bowl (it should be about 1½ cups).
7. Let it thicken for about five minutes before gently folding the thawed and drained hashbrowns into the mixture.
8. Pour the hashbrown mixture into a large baking dish, spread it out into an even layer, and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 ½ cups of cheese.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly on top.
10. Remove from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before garnishing with fresh parsley if desired.
Tips and Tricks
- For best results, thaw and drain the frozen hashbrowns before adding them to the casserole mixture otherwise, it can make your casserole soggy.
- Shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is more convenient, but freshly shredded cheese is silkier and less clumpy once melted.
Can I Freeze Hashbrown Casserole?
Yes. You can absolutely freeze this hashbrown casserole either before it has been baked or after. In either case, prepare as instructed and allow it to cool completely before wrapping tightly with plastic wrap. Transfer to the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake as instructed.
Can I Prepare it Ahead of Time?
Yes! This hashbrown casserole can easily be prepared in advance. Assemble to casserole according to recipe instructions up until it’s time to bake in the oven. Cover with foil and transfer to the refrigerator for up to two days.
Note: The total baking time may be slightly longer since it’s coming straight out of the refrigerator. Tent the baking dish with foil in the first half of cooking to prevent the cheese from burning.
What to Serve with Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
Hashbrown casserole can be served as a dinnertime side dish with steak, pork chops, or chicken; for breakfast with scrambled eggs and a fresh fruit smoothie; or as part of your Christmas or Easter menu. Main dishes that would go perfectly with this easy recipe include:
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites
- Roast Beef Tenderloin Recipe with Red Wine Sauce
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Garlic Herb Lamb Chops (How to Cook Lamb Chops)
More Delicious Potato Recipes
- Potato Skins
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Cheesy Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe
- Perfect Baked Potato Recipe
- Potato Soup Recipe
- Garlic Butter Boiled Potatoes (How to Boil Potatoes)
- Crispy Hash Browns
- The Best Mashed Potatoes Recipe (How to Make Mashed Potatoes)
If you try making this Creamy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
- 6 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion - diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - freshly shredded, divided
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese - freshly shredded, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (4-pound) bag frozen shredded hashbrowns - thawed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a large baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, garlic, salt, and black pepper and mix well to combine. Cook, stirring continuously, for 30 seconds or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and the cream of chicken soup so that no clumps of flour remain. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring the entire time to prevent burning.
- Meanwhile, combine the shredded cheeses in a medium bowl, then set aside approximately 1½ cups to use for topping the casserole later on in cooking.
- Remove the pan from heat. Stir in the milk and the cheese left in the bowl (it should be about 1½ cups). Let it thicken for about five minutes.
- Add the hashbrowns and gently stir to combine.
- Pour the hashbrown mixture into your prepared casserole dish in an even layer and sprinkle the remaining 1½ cups of shredded cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Serve garnished with freshly minced parsley, if desired.
- Cheese: Add as much or as little cheese as you’d like and any type of melting cheese you prefer. Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese are always winners, but Gruyere or Mozzarella is also delicious. Finally, shred your own cheese straight from the block. It melts so much better.
- Hashbrowns: Thaw and drain the frozen hashbrowns before adding them to the casserole mixture otherwise, it can make your casserole soggy.
- Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or in the oven until reheated.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)
Leave a Reply