Learn how to cook soft and fluffy Instant Pot Brown Rice (Pressure Cooker Brown Rice) ready in just 30 minutes. Perfect for busy weeknights and meal prep, this hands-off, no-fail method guarantees perfectly cooked and tender brown rice every time.
Perfect Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe
I love to use my Instant Pot (or pressure cooker) for many things, but Instant Pot rice is probably one of my very favorites. Never crunchy, hard, under-cooked, mushy, or unpleasantly gummy, the instapot always delivers perfect rice.
Today I’m going to share how to cook perfectly fluffy long-grain brown rice using your very own Instant Pot. In total, the entire process will take approximately 40 minutes as it takes time for your Instant Pot to come to pressure.
Feel free to cook your rice in water or a more savory liquid like chicken stock, chicken broth, or even bone broth. Double the recipe and enjoy throughout the week with easy weeknight meals including Instant Pot honey mustard chicken thighs or easy baked chicken thighs.
What is Brown Rice?
Every grain of rice before processing contains three layers: a tough outer hull (or husk), the bran, and inner endosperm. You’ll also find the nutrient-dense germ, or embryo, of the seed adhering to the endosperm.
Brown rice, considered a whole grain, is minimally processed. It contains all parts of the grain including the fibrous bran, nutrient-dense germ, and carb-heavy endosperm. The only part that is removed is the inedible hull which is hard and thought to eat. Brown rice has a nut-like taste and a somewhat chewy texture.
White rice, on the other hand, is milled to remove the outer hull, bran layer, and germ. The only part of the seed that remains in white rice is the inner endosperm. After milling, white rice is then polished to give a shiny white appearance, ultimately stripping away even more nutrients.
Because brown rice is minimally processed, it is considered by many to be a much healthier alternative to white rice.
How Do You Cook Brown Rice in an Instant Pot?
To prepare brown rice using this method you will need a 6-to 8-quart Instant Pot or some kind of electric pressure cooker. You will also need the following two ingredients (so many, I know),
- Long-grain brown rice
- Water or other liquid
Can I use any type of brown rice?
There are countless varieties of brown rice. The most common varieties that you’ll find at your local grocery store include short-grain brown rice, medium-grain brown rice, brown basmati rice (long-grain), brown jasmine rice (long-grain), and standard long-grain brown rice.
For this particular recipe and water to rice ratio, the type of rice does matter. You will want to choose long-grain brown rice such as,
- Brown basmati rice
- Brown jasmine rice
- Standard long-grain rice
Do you need to rinse brown rice?
How to Cook Instant Pot Brown Rice Step-by-Step
1. As I mentioned above, you’ll want to wash your rice. Use a measuring cup to measure your rice and transfer to a large bowl (use the bowl of your Instant Pot to save on dishes). With the water running, rinse rice and gently use your hand to fold the rice over itself from one end of the pot to the other. Drain the rice using a fine-mesh strainer or colander (with tiny holes). Continue rinsing and draining until the water runs nearly clear. Drain thoroughly.
2. Transfer the rice to the bowl of your Instant Pot and cover with 2 cups of water. Secure the lid on top of your Instant Pot and turn the steam valve to the sealing position.
3. Cook the rice on manual high pressure for 15 minutes. Then, natural release for 10 minutes before switching to quick release (turn venting knob to venting position).
4. Carefully open and remove the lid. Gently fluff your perfectly cooked rice with a fork or rice paddle.
5. Season with a pinch of kosher salt and serve immediately with your favorite stir fry, roasted veggies, or store leftovers for later use.
How to reheat leftover rice?
Dry and crunchy leftover rice is the worst. Thankfully, it’s super easy to reheat rice in the microwave so that it is soft and fluffy and it takes just a couple minutes.
Transfer rice to a plate, sprinkle with a tablespoon or two of water (not too much if you’re only reheating a small amount), and cover with a damp paper towel. Cook on high until heated through.
How Much Water Do you Add to Rice
The magic water to rice ratio isn’t always so straightforward. Fortunately, when cooking rice in the Instant Pot it actually kinda is. You may find yourself with a little room for error, but in general, the perfect rice to water ratio for brown rice is 1:1.
Yes, this means that for every one cup of rice, you will need 1 cup of cooking liquid. I would not recommend using any less water. However, if you skip washing your rice, I recommend adding an additional 2 tablespoons of water or other liquid.
How Much Rice Can you Cook in the Instant Pot?
If you’re planning to meal prep or stock up on rice for the week I wouldn’t make more than 4 cups of dry rice at a time (even if you’re using an 8-quart pot). For safety reasons and to prevent any damage to your pot.
Would doubling the recipe increase cook time?
No. Changing the total amount cooked does not change the overall cook time. It will, however, take longer for your pot to come to full pressure since your pot is being asked to heat a greater volume of water.
Try These Delicious Rice Recipes,
- Coconut Rice Recipe (How to Make Coconut Rice)
- Fast and Easy Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
- Cranberry Saffron Rice Recipe
- Easy Thai Fried Rice Recipe (Khao Phat Kaphrao)
More Instant Pot Recipes,
If you try making this Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe
- 2 cups long-grain brown rice - (basmati or jasmine)
- 2 cups cold water
- Wash the rice - Transfer your rice to a large bowl. With the water running, very gently use your hand to fold the rice over itself from one end of the pot to the other. Drain the rice using a fine-mesh strainer or colander (with tiny holes) and repeat until the water runs nearly clear. Drain thoroughly.
- Transfer the washed rice to the bowl of your Instant Pot (pressure cooker). Cover with 2 cups of cold water. Secure the lid on top of your Instant Pot and turn the steam valve to the sealing position.
- Press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK at HIGH pressure and set the timer to 15 minutes. After the cooking time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before switching to a manual pressure release.
- Open and remove the lid carefully then gently fluff with a fork.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)