Thanks to this truly amazing Rocket and Lentil Breakfast Salad you can now get a nice big bowl of fresh greens for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
My salad obsession has moved on… to breakfast.
Tell me, salad for breakfast, yes or no?
If you had told me I would be eating breakfast salads a few years ago, I probably would have laughed. I mean, who wants to wake up to a big bowl of lettuce?
Past Jessica? No way!
Present Jessica? Me! I want to wake up to a GREAT BIG BOWL of lettuce.
If you’re not convinced, that’s ok, too. This salad is also amazing for lunch and dinner. Super easy to throw together (although I hope you’re better at soft boiled eggs than me- I am very hit or miss), healthy and packed full of keep-you-full-longer protein (eggs) and fiber (lentils).
In other news, my husband and I are currently in the process of planning a family trip. You guys, pre-child we were quite the adventurous people, but having an equally adventurous and seriously independent child has made things more challenging. BUT, if my husband ever hopes to get one more baby out of me, well, I need to satisfy my travel bug with a few trips first.
My list is long.
Like, seriously, seriously long. And our budget is tight.
Plus, we have a child who still likes to stick random objects in his mouth. So, sadly, third world is out of the question for now.
We’re thinking Jamaica, Belize or Dominican Republic Mid-November. It’s the end of the hurricane season, just before the holidays and deals are still hot. If my child didn’t get so whiny in the cold, we would be going to Iceland, but he’s a water baby (just like his mama) plus the coral is all dying (thanks to global warming), so tropical wins for this trip!
- 5 ounces fresh arugula
- 1 English cucumber - chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes - halved OR 2 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup cooked - and cooled beluga lentils
- 1 avocados - pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds or sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 4 large eggs- hard boiled - soft boiled or poached
- 1 large lemons
- Olive oil
- salt + pepper - to taste
- chopped dill
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- As the water comes to a boil, start assembling the salad ingredients into one large salad bowl or individual serving bowls. Start with a bed of fresh arugula and follow with chopped English cucumber, tomatoes of choice, cooked and cooled beluga lentils*, avocado, almonds and/or sunflower seeds, pomegranate arils and finally, fresh herbs.
- To cook the eggs, reduce heat to a simmer and carefully lower the eggs into the water. Allow the eggs to simmer for 6-8 minutes. Remove from the water and immediately run cold water over the top to stop cooking. Peel and cut in half and transfer to salad bowls.
- Drizzle salad(s) with fresh lemon juice, a little olive oil and salt and pepper, to taste. Toss everything together and serve with fresh, crusty, buttered bread.