This Velveeta Cheese Dip is so rich, creamy, and easy to make! The ultimate party appetizer, all you need is 20 minutes and simple ingredients including ground breakfast sausage, Velveeta cheese, butter, and your favorite Ro-Tel canned tomatoes.
Velveeta cheese dip is the perfect recipe for entertaining friends and family. So velvety, creamy, and delicious, it’s impossible not to love dipping, scooping, or dunking your favorite tortilla chips into a big bowl filled with this warm and creamy Velveeta dip.
In this post, I’ll share how to make this awesome game day party dip (it’s so easy!) for you to share at your next gathering. And if you love this cheesy dip, I bet you’ll love this buffalo chicken dip recipe, too.
- Olive oil
- Ground pork sausage
- Velveeta cheese
- Evaporated milk
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Fresh lime juice
What is Velveeta cheese? Velveeta cheese is a “pasteurized prepared cheese product” that was invented in 1918 to extend the shelf life of cheese. Made from a blend of different cheeses, other dairy products, and emulsifying salts which both hold the product together and help with melting.
What is Ro-tel (Rotel)? Ro-Tel is simply the brand name for a specific line of canned tomatoes with green chiles. You will find several different varieties with varying degrees of hotness (mild, medium, spicy).
How to Make Velveeta Cheese Dip
- Brown the sausage over medium-high heat until cooked through. Remove to a clean plate and drain any grease left behind in the skillet.
- Return the skillet to medium heat. Add the Velveeta cheese, evaporated milk, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin powder. Cook until the cheese is melted, stirring often.
- Stir the cooked sausage into the cheese sauce and add the Rotel and lime juice. Mix well.
- Continue to cook over low heat for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Velveeta Cheese Dip in the Crock-Pot
To make Velveeta cheese dip in your favorite crockpot or slow cooker:
- First, brown the sausage on the stovetop over medium-high heat.
- Transfer the sausage to your crockpot and add all of the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on LOW for 4-5 hours or on HIGH for 2-3 hours.
Velveeta Queso Dip Variations
There are so many variations to this creamy yummy queso made with Velveeta cheese.
- Swap the cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder for your favorite taco seasoning (you’ll want to add about 1 tablespoon).
- Stir in some black beans or sweet corn.
- Swap the breakfast sausage for lean ground beef or leave out the meat altogether!
- Add some extra heat to your dip by adding a diced jalapeño or two.
Have you tried making this Velveeta Cheese Dip with Sausage?
Tell me about it in the comments below! I always love to hear your thoughts. And tag me #theforkedspoon on Instagram if you’ve made any of my recipes, I always love to see what you’re cooking in the kitchen.
Velveeta Cheese Dip
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground sausage - I used ground breakfast sausage
- 1 (32-ounce) block Velveeta cheese - cut into cubes
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 (10-ounce) can Ro-Tel Tomatoes and Green Chilies - mild, medium, or spicy
- 1 lime - juiced
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 6-8 minutes. Remove the cooked sausage to a clean plate and drain any grease left behind in the skillet.
- Return the skillet to the stovetop set over medium heat. Add the Velveeta cheese, evaporated milk, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin powder. Stir and cook for 6-8 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.
- Return the sausage to the pan and stir in the Ro-Tel and fresh lime juice.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for an additional 5 minutes.
- Best served immediately with fresh lime juice, chopped cilantro (optional), and tortilla chips.
- Ground beef may be used in place of the ground breakfast sausage
- Heavy cream may be used in place of the evaporated milk
- Storage: Keep stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheating: Reheat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until heated through. Stir every 30 seconds.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)
Leave a Reply