Like eating a bowl of apple cinnamon oatmeal, this Apple Bread is the perfect autumn treat.
Today I am sharing a recipe for one of my all-time favorite quick breads. I made this apple cinnamon oatmeal bread for the first time several years ago and have continued to bake it at least once a year ever since. When I made it the first time I was looking for a good post-run snack. I wanted something easy, healthy(ish), slightly sweet and satisfying enough to hold me over until whichever meal was next. It also needed to pair well with peanut butter. After a long run some part of me needs peanut butter, however eating it by the spoonful or on a million butter crackers is a bad habit to form- I needed something else.
This bread was the perfect solution to my post-run snack needs. I’ve always loved eating apples with peanut butter, but after a while that gets boring and I love peanut butter sandwiches, but those, too, get boring. Lucky for me, this bread had it all.
Unfortunately, I’m not running much these days (hopefully this will be changing soon), but I still love to eat- especially carbs and peanut butter.
So, what was once my post-run snack has now become my favorite breakfast food. It’s like eating a bowl of apple cinnamon oatmeal, but much easier to eat on-the-go and I don’t have to worry about it getting cold if I get distracted by my tiny child (which will happen about 25 times). I still love eating it with peanut butter, but as I’ve eaten less sweets over the years, I’ve come to appreciate it plain just as much. Of course, I will never turn down a little layer of butter either.
This bread is super easy to prepare and makes a great holiday gift. It’s also perfect to have in the house as an easy breakfast or snack if company is coming to visit for the holidays.
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup yogurt of choice - I used plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup applesauce - (I used my homemade cinnamon applesauce)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large apples - peeled, cored and chopped into bite size pieces
- ¾ cup chopped pecans or walnuts - optional
- 2 tablespoon approx. rolled oats for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan or three smaller 3 1/10" L x 1 1/5" W x 1 2/5" H loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar, maple syrup, yogurt, apple sauce, oil, egg. Add the rolled oats and let it sit for ten minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- After the rolled oats have sat in the wet mixture for at least ten minutes, mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Gently fold in the apples and pecans, being careful not to over-mix.
- Slowly spoon mixture into your prepared loaf pans and sprinkle with rolled oats.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)