Cheesy Zucchini Bread made with fresh and healthy zucchini, shredded cheddar cheese, and chives is a delicious and easy savory quick bread loved by the whole family. No fancy mixers or kneading required.
This zucchini cheese bread isn’t the only delicious quick bread here at TFS, you may also find this Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread, Double Chocolate Fudgy Zucchini Bread, and Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread.
If there is one thing on my bucket list I could easily check off, but don’t, it’s to learn how to make fresh bread. No, not the quick cooking kind. The kind of bread that needs yeast to rise and strong muscles to knead. Yes, that kind of bread. For whatever reason (maybe because it takes forever), baking my own crusty sourdough bread isn’t on the top of my to-do list. I mean, I have made my own homemade focaccia bread once and it was a pain in my…
Anyway, what is at the top of my list? Quick bread. I love quick bread. All kinds of quick bread. Sweet quick bread, savory quick bread, healthy quick bread…all the quick bread. Quick bread recipes are, well, quick. Meaning, I get to eat my food sooner and with less effort. What’s not to love?
INGREDIENTS IN THIS CHEESY ZUCCHINI BREAD RECIPE
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- EXTRA SHARP cheddar cheese
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERMILK
Making your own buttermilk is easy. All you need is,
- Vinegar, fresh lemon juice, or cream of tartar
Hopefully, you have milk (yes, dairy milk) and one of the other things, otherwise, I hope you live super close to the grocery store or you have super friendly neighbors…
- To make with vinegar or lemon juice, simply add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or vinegar to a measuring cup and fill with milk until it measures 1 cup.
- To make buttermilk with cream of tartar mix one cup milk with 1 3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar.
TIPS ON MAKING THE BEST CHEESY ZUCCHINI BREAD
This savory quick bread is about as easy as it gets. In fact, it’s pretty hard to mess this one up. However, I have a few simple suggestions on how to make this delicious cheesy zucchini bread even better.
- Get all the water out of that zucchini. I mean it, my friends. Just trust me here. The best way to do this is to transfer your shredded zucchini to a flour-sack towel, wrap it up, and squeeze the water out. You won’t believe how much water comes out.
- Use stinky, extra EXTRA sharp cheddar cheese. Just because you may not want to eat the stuff plain, by the slice, doesn’t mean it won’t taste delicious in this bread. This savory quick bread is begging for stinky cheese, don’t let it down!
- Make an extra loaf and freeze it! Ok, so this isn’t going to make your cheesy zucchini bread taste any better, but you will be so happy on a cold and rainy soup day that you have a loaf of this delicious, cheesy goodness just waiting to be eaten.
- For an extra cheesy surprise, sprinkle the top of your zucchini loaf with extra shredded cheddar and chives and place it under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
WHAT TO EAT WITH THIS SAVORY QUICK BREAD
This is not a light bread. I’m so (not) sorry about that. Some things in life are better left packed full of delicious cheese and all-purpose flour. With that in mind, I tend to serve this cheesy zucchini bread with soup, salad, or alone by the slice.
Of course, this zucchini cheese bread tastes best fresh out of the oven. Not only will it taste best, but your house will smell like a million bucks. Let’s not forget that little tidbit. Unfortunately, for many of us, the likelihood that an entire loaf will be eaten in one sitting is low. To fix this, simply pop a slice of this cheesy zucchini bread in the microwave or toaster oven and voila, you’ll never know the difference.
At least, not much.
LOVE ZUCCHINI? CHECK OUT THESE OTHER ZUCCHINI RECIPES.
- Butternut Squash, Zucchini, and Spinach Lasagna
- Grilled Peach, Corn, Zucchini and Asparagus Summer Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
- Chicken, Zucchini + Avocado Soup
- Healthy Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Healthy Corn and Zucchini Chowder
- Easy Grilled Veggie Skewers
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Cheesy Zucchini Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Once mixed, add the butter the the buttermilk mixture. Whisk until fully combined.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture until just combined. Do not over-mix!
- Mix in the shredded cheese, shredded zucchini and chopped chives.
- Spray a 9 x 5 bread loaf tin with non-stick cooking spray and bake for one hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow bread to cool for at least 10 minutes before inverting over a cooling rack to remove from the loaf pan. Allow bread to cool for an additional 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
(originally published on 10.19.15)