Moist and delicious Banana Bread Recipe made with ripe bananas, butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking soda, and flour. Classic, flavorful, and perfectly sweet, learn how to make the BEST ever banana bread and enjoy with your morning coffee, as an afternoon snack, or late-night dessert.
The Best Banana Bread Recipe
‘Best’ is always a bold statement. So allow me to clarify, this is the best classic banana bread recipe. While some recipes have nuts, others have chocolate, and still, others come filled with things like sour cream or Greek yogurt (or pumpkin as in these Healthy Pumpkin Banana Muffins). This one, on the other hand? Has none of those things. Not that any of those things are bad, of course, I just think it’s important to keep the classics close.
Soft, moist, and FULL of delicious banana flavor everyone will love a slice or two of this yummy bread.
Banana Bread Ingredients
For the full list and amounts of ingredients, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Bananas: You’ll need at least 4-5 ripe bananas to make this recipe (or 2 cups). Frozen bananas also work, simply thaw first before mashing.
- pro-tip – buy extra bananas, allow them to ripen, then peel and freeze in a freezer-safe ziplock bag (be sure to label how many bananas are in each bag). Use them in pancakes, waffles, muffins, or smoothies.
- Butter: You can use unsalted or salted butter in this recipe. If you choose to go with the latter, add half of the recommended salt listed in the recipe card. Also, be sure to melt your butter before adding to the mashed bananas.
- Eggs: The eggs are responsible for the stability and structure of cakes, bread, and cookies. Be sure to whisk really well before adding.
- Vanilla extract: A little vanilla extract adds tons of delicious flavor to your bread. I do not recommend adding banana extract or almond extract as their flavors are too overwhelming.
- Granulated sugar: I added simple white granulated sugar here. Feel free to use brown sugar if you prefer. If you prefer a sweeter bread, add quarter cup extra sugar and if you prefer a bread that is less sweet, add a quarter cup less.
- Baking soda: A chemical leavening agent that causes batters to rise when baked. It acts by enlarging the bubbles which are already present in the batter produced through the creaming of ingredients.
- All-purpose flour: Simple all-purpose flour. No fancy ingredients here. Although, to make this recipe gluten-free be sure to use certified gluten-free all-purpose flour.
How to Make Banana Bread
Step one. Preheat and prep
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and butter or spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Step 2. Mash your bananas
Peel your ripe and spotty bananas and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Mash the bananas with a fork until completely smooth and no large clumps remain. You can also do this using a Stand Mixer, but a fork works just as well.
Step 3. Combine other ingredients
Meanwhile, in a separate, smaller bowl, melt the butter in the microwave (approx. 15-30 seconds). Transfer the melted butter to the bananas and mix well to combine.
In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract until no yellow yolk streaks or clumpy egg white remains. Mix in the sugar and add to the banana mixture and mix well.
In a separate bowl whisk together the baking soda, salt, and all-purpose flour. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and use a rubber spatula to mix together until just combined- avoid overmixing.
Step 4: Bake
Transfer the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Tips and Tricks
Make them into muffins: You can easily use this recipe to make approximately 2 dozen banana bread muffins. Simply pour the batter into a lined muffin pan and bake at 425°F (218°C) for 5 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350°F (177°C) for an additional 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
How to store leftover banana bread: To keep your bread as moist as possible, allow your bread to cool completely before wrapping in plastic wrap and transferring to a large, freezer-safe zip-lock bag. Your bread will stay fresh on the counter for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 6 days. Alternatively, make extra, wrap, and freeze for up to 2 months.
Add some nuts: Feel free to stir in a cup or two of your favorite nuts before baking. I love adding chopped walnuts or pecans.
Don’t let the top burn: If you notice that the top of your loaf starting to brown before it’s completely cooked through, simply tent with a large sheet of foil and continue to bake until fully cooked.
How to make gluten-free – To make this recipe gluten-free use certified gluten-free all-purpose flour.
How to make egg-free: To make these muffins vegan, you’ll need to replace the eggs with a vegan substitute. I like to use flaxseeds for this job (although, fair warning, I’ve never tried using an egg substitute on this particular recipe). Here’s how to do it,
- To replace one large egg, place 1 tablespoon of golden flaxseeds in a spice grinder and grind into a fine powder. Transfer to a small bowl filled with 3 tablespoons of water. Allow your “flax-egg” to sit for 15 minutes before using it in a recipe (optional – just before adding to a recipe, stir in a pinch of baking powder).
More Bread & Muffin Recipes,
- Cheesy Zucchini Bread (Quick Bread)
- Raspberry Banana White Chocolate Chip Coconut Muffins
- Blackberry and Orange Muffins with Dark Chocolate
- Homemade Bakery Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- Healthy Pumpkin Banana Muffins
If you try making this Banana Bread, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to read your thoughts and feedback!
Banana Bread Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and butter or spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Peel your ripe bananas and transfer to a mixing bowl. Mash the bananas with a fork until completely smooth and no large clumps remain. In a separate, smaller bowl, melt the butter in the microwave (approx. 15-30 seconds). Transfer the melted butter to the bananas and mix well to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract until no yellow yolk streaks or clumpy egg white remains. Mix in the sugar and add to the banana mixture and thoroughly mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the baking soda, salt, and all-purpose flour. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and use a rubber spatula to mix together until just combined.
- Transfer batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)