All the smells and flavors of Autumn come together in this healthy, easy, and glowing Turmeric Salad with Apples and Acorn Squash.
Let me start this post off by saying how incredibly easy this salad is to prepare. The most challenging part is slicing the acorn squash. If you don’t have a strong set of hands nearby, I suggest cooking with two delicata squash as they are much much easier to manipulate.
Ok, so this salad…it’s pretty amazing. Inspired by a very similar salad by Tieghan at Half Baked Harvest, this one is all about embracing the color, taste, and smells of Autumn. You’ll find cinnamon and maple syrup baked acorn squash (omg, so amazing, guys), smoked gouda cheese, creamy avocado, sweet pomegranates and crisp apples.
You know, just a few of my favorite things. But it totally works, worry not.
The tahini and turmeric dressing is simple and healthy and (thank goodness!) requires no extra fancy equipment. Fancy equipment is good and fine, but dishes are not. Especially not three days before Christmas when I have boatloads of wrapping to get done.
Speaking of Christmas…Happy Holidays!
I promised myself that I wouldn’t go crazy shopping for my child this year; that I would only get him a few gifts.
You guys, I am so weak. I can’t help myself. I was raised in a family where we always had lots and lots of gifts, so now, I want to do the same for my own child. The problem is that I only have one child and I’m shopping as if I have three. When I start talking myself out of giving him gifts, I start telling myself that soon his gifts will be boring and lame, so now is the time to do it.
I have also tried to convince my husband that instead of doing Christmas at home, we should travel somewhere. It’s not like I’m going to pile a suitcase full of gifts with us to a different country. My husband doesn’t think that I will have the willpower to consider the trip as the gift. I think he is totally wrong. So next year…vaca mode. I have a long list- any favorite recommendations?
The truth, though? Like, for real? My kid is such a little sh*t he should get a stocking full of coal. As I was collecting the trash from the bathrooms yesterday, I discovered that he has been peeing in them, instead of the toilet. He has also been peeing on the carpet.
You guys, he is FOUR! And not at all deprived of attention. I can’t even.
But I love him so stinkin’ much and he is so darn cute, what’s a mom to do? (don’t answer that…)
Autumn Turmeric Salad with Apples and Acorn Squash
Recipe inspired by Half Baked Harvest.
- 1 acorn squash, seeded and cut into half circles
- 1 delicata squash, seeded and cut into half circles
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces baby kale
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup shredded and finely chopped carrot
- 1-2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 cup smoked Gouda cheese, chopped into small cubes
- 1 cup candied walnuts
- 1 large avocado, pitted and sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line two large baking sheets with foil and toss squash with olive oil, to coat. Drizzle squash with maple syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Transfer baking sheets to the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the squash is soft, tender and caramelized, rotating baking sheets once during cooking.
- As the squash cooks, prepare the dressing. In a medium bowl whisk together the ingredients for turmeric tahini dressing and season to taste. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Once the squash is cooked, build your salad. In a large bowl combine the baby kale, arugula, carrot, sliced apples, pomegranate, Gouda cheese, candied walnuts, sliced avocado, and squash. Drizzle with prepared dressing and serve immediately.