Fresh, healthy, and completely vegetarian, this Avocado Citrus Chickpea Salad is loaded with sweet blood oranges, creamy avocados, spicy green onion, spicy jalapeño, and cilantro. Summertime dinner magic that takes little more than 10 minutes to throw together.
Zero planning and forethought went into the making of this salad. Unlike many of my other recipes which are usually thought out and planned at the start of the week, this one was tossed together one random Thursday afternoon.
It’s what I call a refrigerator cleanout dish.
Now, unlike many of my other refrigerator cleanout meals, this Avocado Citrus Chickpea Salad is not cooked or baked and is super fresh. And, assuming you’re not tossing in near-rotten ingredients, yours should be fresh, too.
So what’s going on in there?
- Oranges. I just so happened to have blood oranges, but any oranges will work.
- Watermelon radish. I had one leftover from a previous dish and I would have hated for it to go bad. Is this an essential ingredient? No. But, if you love radish, why not?
- Chickpeas. The giver of protein and substance in this amazing salad.
- Avocado. This should be a given. Must have avocado.
- Green onions. I love green onions. They give salads great bite without overwhelming the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Japapeño. Like the radish, jalapeño is not essential. That said, I personally would have enjoyed this dish much less if I hadn’t had one just sitting in my refrigerator waiting to be eaten.
- Cilantro. Another favorite. You guys, cilantro is simply one of those things that go into almost everything I make.
Just because this is what I had sitting around don’t feel pressured to use exactly what I did. If you have some grapes or a mango lying around, I’m going to guess those would taste pretty great.
Just start with a can of beans. Seriously.
This Avocado Citrus Chickpea Salad took 5 minutes and was lunch for both me and my husband for two days! Wrap it up in a tortilla or warm flatbread and you are good to go!
If you enjoy this Avocado Citrus Chickpea Salad, you may also enjoy-
- Easy Chopped Mediterranean Salad
- Asian Chopped Chicken Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette
- Stone Fruit and Burrata Salad with Avocado
Avocado Citrus Chickpea Salad
- Add the chickpeas, radish, blood orange, chopped jalapeño, cilantro, and green onion to the bowl of a large salad bowl. Toss well to combine.
- Add the avocado, lime juice, and drizzle with olive oil just before serving. Gently toss to combine and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)