Quite possibly the easiest cake you will ever make, this Blood Orange Upside Down Cake takes only 10 minutes to prepare, giving you the perfect excuse to make a cake (and eat it too!) whenever, whereever!
Baking is not really my thing. I mean I love to eat all the baked things, but I don’t usually love to make them. I don’t know, maybe it has something to do with the fact that, when I make cupcakes or cake, I can see with my own two eyes all the butter and sugar that go into each of those beautiful baked goodies. In the case of baking, sometimes ignorance is bliss. But, really, if I’m being honest, I think it’s because-
- Baking takes forever (or seems to take forever)
- Demands too many measuring tools. I’m more of a fly by the seat of your pants type.
- I’m usually pretty bad at it.
That said, this isn’t always the case. Sometimes I find a totally amazing recipe that will be made on repeat forever and ever. So, when I was in the mood for cake the other day and stumbled upon this beauty from Bon Appetit, I knew it had to be made. Now, usually, I make up my own recipes, but when it comes to baking, not gonna happen. Baking is a science and I haven’t mastered that one yet. I may have my Bachelor’s in Science, but sadly, it’s not in baking.
Blood oranges are everywhere right now and I literally can’t get enough. They’re probably one of my favorite fruits to work with because they are just so dang beautiful. And this magical citrus fruit in this cake? Total perfection.
If you love this Blood Orange Upside Down Cake, you may also enjoy-
Wild Rice Salad with Beets, Oranges and Whipped Lemon Ricotta
Sweet Chili Miso Salmon Salad with Freekeh, Beets, and Oranges
Blood Orange Upside Down Cake
- Nonstick Vegetable Oil Spray
- ⅓ cup raw sugar
- 2 blood oranges - sliced thin with seeds removed
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ¾ cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter - melted and cooled
- 1 (heaping) tsp blood orange zest (approx. 1 blood orange)
- 2 tablespoon fresh blood orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 10” cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Evenly scatter the raw sugar over the bottom of the cake pan and place the orange slices on top.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, orange zest and orange juice.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until nearly combined. Some dry spots OK as you do not want to overmix the batter.
- Pour the batter over the oranges and bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until the sides start pulling away from the pan and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Transfer make to a wire rack to cook for 5 minutes before inverting over a large plate and gently releasing from the pan.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)
Leave a Reply