This post is sponsored by Real California Milk, but all content and opinions expressed here are my own. Thanks for reading!
Not just a any cheese quesadilla, this delicious pumpkin quesadilla is made with caramelized onions, chicken maple sausage and a rich, creamy, cheesy pumpkin cheese sauce with fresh herbs. Drizzle with an easy maple pumpkin yogurt sauce for the best fall lunch or dinner that ever existed.
Raise your hand if you love quesadillas…
yessss! me too! bffs for life.
Ok, now raise your hand if you love pumpkin…
and caramelized onions…
and sweet sausage…
yes yes yes!
Please! Come be my neighbor!
Actually, I did feed our neighbor friends and their kiddos these quesadillas (minus the sausage as they are vegetarians) and they were a huge hit all around. Some kiddos liked them more than others, but even my child ate some and one even asked for seconds.
Anywho, what is one thing all quesadillas have in common?
CHEESE (and tortillas)!
And you can’t have cheese without milk. And you can’t have milk without Real California Milk…
OK, that last part is a stretch, but given the topic of this post, I just couldn’t help myself.
Anyway, you guys, these are the most amazing quesadillas I have ever made. Crisp buttery flour tortillas sandwiching the cheesiest, herbiest pumpkin sauce, sweet maple sausage and caramelized onions. The flavor combo really is amazing!
Cheesy Pumpkin Quesadilla with Sausage and Maple Pumpkin Yogurt Sauce
FOR THE QUESADILLAS
- 1.5 tablespoons Real California Milk butter
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces Maple Chicken Sausage, or preferred sausage- chicken apple sausage would be a great alternative
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 5 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Real California Milk Sharp Cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup Real California Milk Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup Real California Milk cream or half and half
- salt + pepper, to taste
- Real California Milk butter, for frying
- 12 medium tortillas
- 12 ounces Real California Milk Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, or more
- Fresh chopped herbs for serving, if desired
FOR THE MAPLE YOGURT SAUCE
- 1 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
- First prepare the caramelized onions- heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add butter to the skillet followed by the onions, trying not to crowd the pan. Mix well to coat. Sprinkle onions with a pinch of salt and reduce heat to medium low. Continue to cook the onions for approximately 40 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until the onions are deeply browned.
- As the onions caramelize, cook the sausage according to package instructions. When sausage are completely cooked through, remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the pureed pumpkin, fresh chopped herbs and egg. Add the shredded cheddar, Gruyere and cream (or half and half), mixing until fully combined.
- In a medium skillet set over medium heat add a teaspoon of olive oil and swirl to coat. Add the pumpkin cheese mixture to the skillet and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Remove from heat and set aside (don't worry if the pumpkin cheese sauce thickens as it cools. That's normal).
- In a small bowl stir to combine the ingredients for the maple yogurt sauce. Set aside in a sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- With the ingredients prepared and ready, make your quesadillas. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. As the pan warms spread some pumpkin mixture on one side of the tortilla (approximately 2-3 tablespoons), followed by chopped sausage, caramelized onions and shredded mozzarella cheese. Top with the other tortilla.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of butter to the hot skillet and swirl to coat. Add the prepared quesadilla and cover pan with a lid. Cook for approximately 2 minutes before flipping and cooking for an additional 2 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Remove quesadilla from the skillet and serve with the prepared maple pumpkin yogurt sauce.