It has been raining non-stop ALL DAY LONG.
You guys, California has been in a drought for so long that I am not used to this; and non-stop rainy days with a toddler and a dog? Well, let’s just say rainy days aren’t what they used to be…
I used to spend gloomy wet days permanently plopped on the couch with my favorite movies and snacks and maybe, if I were feeling ambitious, a book. These were the best days. Now, with a toddler and a dog my rainy days are a whole lot different.
Today we’ve: watched cartoons, vacuumed, cleaned the downstairs play closet, played with play-doh, painted, made rice crispy treats, played with play-doh, read the same book 10 times, napped (I worked), built a fort, folded laundry, sorted through toys and books, played with play-doh (yes, again) and colored. Thank goodness I’ve had my dear husband is here to help me with all this kid play- my mind just can’t take it all.
Confession: I love children and I love playing with my son, but nothing is more exhausting than playing on a toddlers level.
In between the play-doh and overly animated expression for everything, I did manage to sneak in a few minutes to whip together this salad. I had some boiled chicken already shredded in the refrigerator so all this took was 15 minutes to throw together. Octavian was thrilled- the salad spinner is his favorite toy in the whole world and I was happy because dinner only took 15 minutes to make.
Don’t let the simplicity of this salad fool you- this salad is anything but simple. Thanks to the crunchy veggies, juicy chicken, salty peanuts, chow mein noodles and the best sesame dressing EVER (yes EVER), you will find yourself making this easy dinner over and over again.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cooked and shredded (approximately 4 cups)
- 4 cups romaine lettuce shredded
- 2 cups purple cabbage shredded
- 6 green onions chopped
- 1 large cucumber sliced into thin batons
- 2 cups sugar snap peas chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup crispy chow mein noodles
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ingredients for the dressing until fully combined. Set aside or store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- Prepare the salad- In a large mixing bowl, toss together all the salad ingredients until well mixed.
- Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat, or serve salad in individual bowls and drizzle with dressing over individual bowls.