All the flavors of your favorite Buffalo chicken party wings, this Buffalo Chicken Soup is healthy, comforting and perfect on a cool winter night.
Buffalo sauce definitely tops my list of favorite sauces. It’s one of those magical, addicting, completely necessary condiments that you will always find in my refrigerator (right next to Ranch dressing, Ketchup, Miso and Chipotle Ranch). Fortunately, my husband shares a love for all things Buffalo Sauce and has not once complained about repeat Buffalo recipe days.
Recently Buffalo sauce has become very popular among food bloggers and Pinteresters. After all, it makes total sense; I mean the stuff tastes amazing on just about everything such as meat and vegetables, cooked foods or raw. For example, these Buffalo Chicken and Cauliflower Taquitos – totally amazing!
Anyway, the other afternoon as I looked out my window at the dreary weather and permanent cloud covering the Central Valley of Northern California and decided I would make soup. Soup in winter is like salads in summer. It’s just what’s for dinner. Totally original, I know.
So I started to think about all the different soup options, such as-
- Heavy- chowder, bisque, potatoes, cream.
- Noodly- chicken noodle, minestrone, ramen.
- Brothy- all the vegetables.
However, none of the above quite fit exactly what I was looking for. Wanting something with a little of everything, I went to the refrigerator, opened the door, and gazed longingly at what I had to work with (as I often do). I had an excess of celery and carrots because I have a problem buying a brand new bag every single time I go to the market. There were also green onions and 1/2 of a very sad cabbage that needed to be eaten.
And then there was the Buffalo wing sauce.
With chicken in the freezer, I knew what had to be done.
You guys, this soup is quite possibly one of the most amazing soups I have ever made (and I have made A LOT of soup!) It is filling, but light, and so totally packed full of awesome Buffalo sauce flavors. Basically, you should be jealous of this soup. Just sayin’.
Don’t worry! Probably one of the easiest things I have ever made, you can definitely make this soup, too! As long as you can chop 🙂
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 10-12 cups chicken broth or water
- 3 chicken breasts (approximately 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup Buffalo wing sauce, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- Crumbled feta cheese, for serving
- Crispy tortilla strips, for serving
- Add butter and olive oil to a large stock pot or Dutch Oven over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes stirring frequently. Add the garlic, carrots, and celery to the pot and continue to cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and add the chicken broth or water to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling add the chicken breasts and hot sauce to the pot, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer on low for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes remove chicken breasts from the pot and set aside on a clean plate to cool. Once cool enough to handle, shred the chicken and return to the pot. Season to taste with additional hot sauce, salt, and black pepper.
- Garnish with crumbled feta (or blue cheese), chopped green onion, and crumbled tortilla strips, if desired.
If you love this Buffalo Chicken Soup, you’ll love these recipes-