Filled with fresh vegetables and juicy sausage, this delicious and colorful Sausage and Vegetable Soup with Easy Basil Pesto simmers together in no time any day of the week!
After Thanksgiving is all said and done and I have cleaned out the refrigerator from the neverending leftovers, I love to make a nice pot of healthy, vegetable-filled soup. After so many days of heavy eating, my body begs for a restart. Soup, I’ve come to learn, is also one of the best meals to have ready and waiting if you’re still hosting guests, but you’ve mentally checked out of feeding a large group. Set the pot on the stove and allow people to come and go as they please. No need for a fancy invitation or special orders.
Honestly, if it weren’t for big pots of soup, we would probably eat out a whole lot more right after the holidays. People are tired (me. I’m tired.) and my body needs a couple of days away from cooking and neverending dishes.
Besides, home-cooked meals are always better. They’re healthier, come from fresher ingredients, cost less, and (usually) taste better overall. Not to mention the memories… Some of my favorite memories include cooking with my mom and siblings around special holidays. Simple meals like a grilled cheese sandwich to whole entire elaborate Christmas feasts.
It’s no wonder that I cook from home so much.
However, if there is one thing I have learned about cooking over the years, it is this- quality cookware is key. In fact, I have become a wee bit obsessive about the type of cookware I use. Why?
Simply put- the food always turns out better.
From seared steak or chicken to cooked rice, or a nice pot of hot soup, quality cookware is key.
Now that you know my little secret to get the most out of my food, there’s one last element to this Sausage and Vegetable Soup that I love. The basil pesto! Actually, it’s not a true traditional pesto, but it has at least a few of the key elements and it’s whipped together in about 2 minutes flat! While this Sausage and Vegetable Soup doesn’t need it, I highly recommend a little scoop with each bowl.
Sausage and Vegetable Soup with Easy Basil Pesto
For the Soup
- 2 teaspoon olive oil - divided
- 3 sweet Italian sausage
- .5 yellow onion - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 carrots - chopped
- salt + pepper - to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rosemary - fresh chopped
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- .5 cup marinara sauce
- 15 oz canned artichokes - drained
- 1 roma tomato - chopped
- 2 zucchini - chopped
- .5 cup frozen peas
- 1-2 cups kale - chopped. Stems remvoed
- Heat the Made In Cookware 10-inch Frying Pan over medium-low heat. Once hot add the olive oil and sausage to the pan and cook low and slow on each side for approximately 5-6 minutes, or until fully cooked. When finished cooking remove the pan from heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, as the sausage cooks, place a Made In Cookware Sauce Pot (for smaller portions) or Made In Cookware Stockpot (for larger portions) over medium heat. Add the remaining olive oil and diced onion to the pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until onions are softening and translucent. Add the minced garlic, chopped carrot, chopped celery, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and rosemary to the onion and mix well to combine. Continue to sauté for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken or vegetable broth, marinara sauce, artichokes and diced tomato to the pot. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until root vegetables are softened.
- As the soup cooks, prepare the pesto. In a small food processor combine the basil, pine nuts, and olive oil and process on high, scraping down the sides as needed, until fully blended. If needed add 1-2 teaspoons of water to help move things along. Set aside.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add the zucchini, frozen peas, chopped kale, and chopped sausage to the pot and continue to cook for an additional 5-10 minutes. Season to taste.
- Remove from heat and garnish with homemade basil pesto and pesto, if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)
If you love this Sausage and Vegetable Soup, you may also enjoy-
Turmeric Broth Soup with Wild Rice and Vegetables
Cambodian Pork and Cucumber Soup
Healthy Roasted Broccoli Carrot Soup
Leave a Reply