Learn how to make Jerk Chicken Taquitos with healthy cauliflower!
Father’s Day is fast approaching! As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, we don’t usually give fancy gifts around here (Mother’s Day this year was a very surprise exception). In general, we would much rather allocate fun money to family trips (fun!) or savings (not fun). After all, one day we would really love to own our own home. At least that’s what we’re told to aim for, right? Personally, I find travel much more valuable and enriching, but I’m an adult now, so #priorities
Ehh, that one is still up for debate, but we’re not talking about that today.
Anyway, the main reason I stopped buying my husband gifts is because he always ALWAYS returns them. Unless it is $5 or less, it will be returned. I purchased him workout pants for Christmas because the man NEEDS workout pants. You guys, he loved them. And for a hot second thought he was actually going to keep them.
Then he looked at the price tag.
Even the pants I purchased from TJMaxx were too expensive because they were not on clearance.
Basically, it’s best to gift the man with food; and probably a handmade card or craft if I can get my child to cooperate for longer than 30 seconds.
It’s no secret that my husbands favorite meal of all time is Jerk Chicken Tacos. We discovered them a few years ago and now make them at least every couple months (basically it’s the only recipe that’s on regular rotation in our house).
>>I had a the taco recipe and post ready to be published nearly TWO years ago, but I very strongly dislike the photos so I will get you guys this family favorite just as soon as I get the photos retaken 🙂 <<<
Anywho, when my dear, wonderful husband requested his favorite tacos for dinner the other night, I obliged. And then I took it back and made these Jerk Chicken and Cauliflower Taquitos instead!!!
I couldn’t help myself, you guys. Besides, he LOVED my Baked Buffalo Chicken and Cauliflower Taquitos, so I knew he would love these just as much!!
And he did <fist bump!>
Baked, not fried, these delicious and spicy taquitos are stuffed full of juicy chicken, roasted cauliflower, and lots of cheese. They are perfect for dipping or served over a bed of crunchy cabbage and juicy cherry tomatoes.
Jerk Chicken and Cauliflower Taquitos
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium cauliflower (chopped into small florets)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (divided)
- salt + pepper
- 2 tablespoons Jerk Seasoning (I used this (not sponsored))
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 340 grams fire roasted red peppers (jar, liquid drained and finely chopped)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or cheese of choice)
- 20 flour tortillas (18-22, I used the fajita size)
- Shredded cabbage (cherry tomatoes, sour cream and avocado (for serving))
- FOR THE CHICKEN: bring a large pot of water to a boil. Carefully add chicken breasts to the pot and return to a boil. Cover with a fitted lid and remove from heat. Allow the chicken breasts to sit for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until fully cooked. Once cooked, remove chicken from the pot (the leftover water makes great chicken stock!) and set aside to cool.
- FOR THE CAULIFLOWER: preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl toss together the cauliflower florets with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread cauliflower onto prepared baking sheet and roast from approximately 20-25 minutes, or until cauliflower is cooked and browning at the tips. Remove baking sheet from the oven and set aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt (or sour cream), Jerk seasoning, chopped green onion and diced roasted bell pepper sauce. Mix in the cheese. Set aside.
- Once cool enough, shred the chicken breasts (using two forks or your fingers) and chop the cauliflower into small bits. Transfer both the chicken and the cauliflower to a large mixing bowl. To the same bowl mix in the Jerk cheese mixture with the chicken until combined.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Assemble the taquitos by laying each tortilla on a flat, clean surface. Scoop approximately 1/4 - 1/3 cup of the Jerk chicken mixture into the center of each tortilla. Using your hands, tightly roll the tortilla. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and repeat until all of the Jerk chicken mixture has been used. Use a pastry brush to brush a thin layer of olive oil over the tops of each rolled tortilla and place them in the oven to bake for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until tortillas are just starting to brown at the edges and cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and serve over a bed of shredded cabbage with a healthy scoop of halved cherry tomatoes, sour cream and avocado.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)