Peanut butter and miso is perhaps the most magical tasting combination in the world. Oh! You’ve never tried it? Well then you’re in the right place because these peanut miso chicken lettuce wraps with rice noodles are the perfect mix of salty sweet goodness. Even better, they are perfect for lunch or dinner, can be prepared ahead of time and make pretty awesome leftovers for the week.
If you’re wondering whether you want the salty sweet peanut butter miso magic combination, the answer is… yes yes yes! (Unless you hate peanut butter or miso, then maybe skip this recipe).
Anyway, the sauce- as delicious as it is, I don’t know if I would just eat a bowl of it alone; instead, we’re mixing it up with some juicy shredded chicken, sweet red grapes and fresh chopped green onion for a little spice.
Ready, set, eat!
Oh, wait! I almost forget- the lettuce wraps.
For this recipe I used butter lettuce leaves. Sometimes this green can be hard to find, so another good option would be iceburg (super crisp and crunchy) or romaine. If you’re not into the idea of wrapping it up in lettuce because, you know, it does get messy sometimes, you can also chop everything up in as salad (hint hint: lunch). On top of the lettuce place a little pile of cooked rice noodles (of course, you can leave the noodles out if you’re skipping carbs) and a big scoop of peanut miso chicken goodness. Optional garnishes include: chopped peanuts, chopped green onion, fresh cilantro and mint, or fresh lime juice. Since the peanut miso sauce (is delicious) can be on the heavier side, adding fresh chopped herbs or lime juice is the perfect complement.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt, pepper and chili powder. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add oil or butter to the pan. Add chicken and cook each side for approximately 5-8 minutes or until fully cooked. Transfer to a plate and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the rice noodles according to package instructions, taking care not to overcook the noodles as that will make them soggy (soggy noodles are sad noodles). When finished cooking, set aside.
- Prepare the peanut miso sauce. Place the the ingredients for the sauce in the bowl of blender or food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Taste and make adjustments as needed- additional water if sauce is too thick, peanut butter, soy sauce, fish sauce, etc. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Using a fork (or your hands) shred the cooked and cooled chicken or chop into small bite sized pieces. In a medium bowl mix the chicken and grapes with half the peanut miso sauce, adding more sauce if needed. Reserve the rest for dipping.
- Build your lettuce wraps. Top your butter lettuce with rice noodles and big scoop of peanut butter miso chicken. Garnish with chopped green onion, crushed peanuts, lime juice and extra sauce, if desired.