You guys, it’s Friday! Unlike last week, this week flew by so fast it’s almost like it didn’t even happen.
Ok, I’m thinking, I’m thinking… yep, I’m really going to have to think about this one.
Ah yes, Octavian and I had a little pool playdate mid-week. Our gym has a really great outdoor pool/splash pad area for kids, so it’s become our new favorite play date spot. At least until Octavian started tackling kids in the wade-in pool nearly drowning them. Of course I’m standing right by him, so I can save the poor kid under him (or stop him before it happens), but, it’s still mortifying. I mean, I have THAT kid. And, of course, Octavian thinks it’s just hilarious (he has no idea that what he is doing is VERY bad) and loves to see me charge after him to stop.
In case you are wondering, time-outs do not work on my kid. Neither does yelling or taking away a favorite toy. So we left.
Thank goodness most of the other pool goers are Moms and understood what it’s like to have a toddler.
Ok, so this particular play date did not fly by, but the work and extra discipline is usually worth the energy because it usually means bedtime will be easier (and now he knows not to tackle other kids in the pool).
The rest of the week, however, was just like most other weeks- more play dates, grocery shopping (although I did manage to skip Target this week! my wallet is thanking me big time), cooking, pictures, gym, and lots of reading to my favorite little person. Because Octavian in currently in the process of getting his 2-year bottom molars, he has been less than thrilled with life. My solution was to keep us as busy as possible.
I have also been battling with a lot of Mommy guilt lately, but i’ll save that post for a different day. If you’re a mom out there reading this, whether you stay-at-home or work all day, take it easy on yourself and remember you’re doing a great job. I do a really good job at pointing out where I fall short as a Mom, and always seem to forget that I literally can’t do everything. So, for the next few minutes, no Mommy guilt. Ok?
This weekend we were will be going to TWO birthday parties. To help out, I wanted to bring an easy and delicious side dish that offers lots of flavor, but is also healthy.
I give you this Thai Cashew Ginger Salad.
Only 10 minutes to make, easy to transport, and completely delicious. The dressing is light, sweet and nutty thanks to blended cashews and fresh ginger. The greens are a mix of broccoli slaw, cabbage, green onion, carrots, and shredded brussel sprouts, which keep this salad crunchy for hours, rather than a soggy sad mess.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Thai Cashew Ginger Slaw
For the Salad:
- 1 package broccoli slaw
- 1 cup carrots - julienned
- 1/4 cup green onions - chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro - chopped
- 1/2 package - 5 oz. Trader Joe's Cruciferous Crunch Collection- (if you can't find this, it's a mix of shredded kale, cabbage, brussel sprouts and broccoli, simply add what you prefer)
- 1/2 cup whole cashews - plain or these Chili and Lime Cashews from Trader Joe's
- In a large bowl toss together all the salad ingredients. Set aside.
- Place all the ingredients for the dressing in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process until fully combined. Taste and make any additions necessary- salt, sugar, or fish sauce (those are usually the 3 ingredients I find myself adding).
- Drizzle dressing over prepared salad and toss to coat.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)