Right when California decides to get all crazy hot, our air conditioning breaks. Truth be told, I think my child did it. I have no proof, but it just seems like something he would do, you know, just to see what happens. Or, now that I think of it, he knows it would result in a repair man coming out to our house to fix it and since repair people have tools…
But, like I said, no proof. And no actual concrete reason to think he did it except that’s what curious kids like my child do.
Did I mention that the washing machine is also broken and our refrigerator was temporarily down for a day a few weeks ago? But seriously, you guys, my child may be a manipulative little genius, but he is terrible at keeping his schemes to himself. He usually lets me know immediately when he’s done something he knows he shouldn’t have with a naughty little grin, an in-your-face “ta-da!” or forthcoming “look what I did momma!” None of the above this time. Meanwhile it’s 8pm and 90 degrees outside. It’s ok, we’ll survive. After all, I did make it through 6 months in SE Asia with no air conditioning and can promise I have lived through much worse. Besides, wasn’t I just complaining about the rain, like, two weeks ago?
My annoying first world problems aside, I am super excited to share these Thai Meatball Lettuce Cups with Tangy Cabbage Slaw with you guys. I actually made them a while ago (no oven action over here today) and they were a HUGE hit with the whole family. If you love the flavors of Thai food, you will (probably) love these meatballs! And if you’re looking for a satisfying, colorful and easy low carb dinner, this has your name written all over it. Of course, if you’re a carb lover, rice would make a fantastic addition 🙂
Thai Meatball Lettuce Wraps with Tangy Cabbage Slaw
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 1.5 pounds ground turkey, or chicken, I used a mix of turkey and chicken
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 1/2 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sweet Thai chili sauce, store-bought or homemade
FOR THE CABBAGE SLAW
- 14 oz cole slaw mix, one 14 ounce bag, (or a mix of green cabbage, red cabbage and carrot)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons sweet Thai chili sauce
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- Limes, for serving
- Fresh chopped cilantro, for serving
- Additional sweet Thai chili sauce
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs in a large mixing bowl (except the sweet chili sauce!) and mix together until evenly combined (hands work best here).
- Use your hands to form approximately 1 tablespoon of meat mixture into meatballs. Place each meatball onto prepared baking sheet.
- Transfer prepared meatballs to the preheated oven and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through. Flip once half way through.
- While the meatballs are cooking prepare the cabbage slaw. Simply combine the cole slaw mix, fresh mint, basil leaves, green onions and cilantro in a large bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, rice wine vinegar, sugar and sweet red chili sauce in a small bowl. Combine with the cabbage slaw and mix well.
- Remove the cooked meatballs from the oven and toss with 2-4 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce.
- Assemble your lettuce cups. Start with 1-2 spoonfuls of cabbage slaw, meatballs and any additional garnishes desired (fresh line juice, chopped cilantro, sesame seeds, and peanuts).