ROASTED EGGPLANT AND TOMATO GNOCCHI is a delicious and easy six-ingredient vegetarian dinner made with ripe tomatoes, eggplant, store-bought gnocchi, fresh basil, and parmesan cheese.
Easy dinners like this Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Gnocchi are a favorite here on The Forked Spoon and include this Peach, Goat Cheese, and Prosciutto Flatbread, One Pot Creamy Mushroom Tortellini, and Spring Pea Pasta with Prosciutto and Burrata Cheese.
Jump to Recipe
Would you like to know a little secret? awesome.
jk, I have two secrets. First, you should know that this gnocchi is not homemade. Second secret? Since making this dish I have made it twice more. Why? Because it is THAT good. obviously.
THE (SHORT) STORY BEHIND THIS EASY GNOCCHI DINNER
My husband is moderately obsessed with eggplant. Unfortunately, eggplant is one of those vegetables that is often overlooked in the meal prep process. Probably because it’s not one of my favorites. Anyway, being the best wife ever, one night I decided I would make him something special.
Weeks prior, I had planned to make a cheesy baked tomato gnocchi but ended up getting distracted, and so the gnocchi was never used. Long story short, in honor of my husband, I decided I would use up something which would have otherwise sat in the pantry for months (one of his greatest pet peeves) and cook it up with his very favorite roasted eggplant.
My husband thanked me, but really, I should have thanked him because this dish now tops my list of “most favorite” easy recipes.
WHAT IS GNOCCHI?
- Gnocchi are small dumplings.
- Translated, gnocchi means “lumps” in Italian. Which makes complete sense if you think about it.
- Gnocchi is made from a mixture of boiled and mashed potatoes mixed with flour.
- They are then boiled and transformed into soft little pillows.
But that’s homemade gnocchi. This gnocchi is store-bought, straight out of a package because this mama does not have time for homemade gnocchi (right now). Although, I will be making some homemade sweet potato gnocchi in the near future because…sweet potatoes.
IS GNOCCHI GLUTEN-FREE?
Probably not. Gnocchi is typically made from potatoes, flour and eggs, however, there are pre-made brands out there that make gluten-free gnocchi using non-wheat flours.
Or you can make your own.
INGREDIENTS IN THIS AWESOME ROASTED EGGPLANT AND TOMATO GNOCCHI
- Gnocchi- homemade or store-bought
- Salt + Pepper
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
A FEW NOTES ABOUT THIS ROASTED EGGPLANT AND TOMATO GNOCCHI
- Don’t get hung up about which tomatoes you use. Any tomatoes would work, just make sure they are ripe and preferably a little sweet. The roasting will bring out that flavor and make them taste even more wonderful.
- You will notice that I did not provide an amount for the olive oil. This is because whenever you are roasting vegetables- particularly eggplant- sizes and number of pieces vary. Keep in mind with the eggplant- it’s like a sponge. It will quite literally suck the olive oil right up. A light drizzle is all you need.
- Season to taste as you go along.
- Everything is optional. If you would rather not eat eggplant, or you’re sensitive to tomatoes because of the acidity, swap it out for something else. For example, butternut squash or sweet peas.
IS THIS EASY DINNER GOOD FOR MEAL PREP?
Yes! I love this question!
Gnocchi is a wonderful meal prep idea. Unlike rice noodles or overcooked pasta, gnocchi holds its shape and tastes great warmed up and mixed together with a little sauce or roasted vegetables (wink wink) for an easy and balanced lunch or dinner meal prep idea.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
ROASTED EGGPLANT AND TOMATO GNOCCHI
- 2.5 lbs tomatoes chopped into large chunks
- 2 medium eggplant sliced into rounds
- olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- 16 ounces prepared gnocchi
- 3 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. On the first baking sheet spread out the chopped tomatoes in a single layer and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Gently toss to coat.
- Drizzle the second baking sheet with olive oil and slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch rounds. Lay the eggplant out in an even layer and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Transfer both baking sheets to the oven and roast for approximately 25-35 minutes, switching the trays and flipping the eggplant once halfway through cooking.
- As the tomatoes and eggplant roast, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- When the tomatoes and eggplant have finished roasting, remove from the oven and allow them to cool for 2 minutes. Meanwhile cook the gnocchi in the prepared pot of boiling water according to package instructions (typically 2-3 minutes).
- As the gnocchi cooks, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil to the skillet. Drain the gnocchi and transfer to the skillet. Fry the gnocchi for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted tomatoes and chopped eggplant to the skillet. Add the chopped basil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently stir together to combine.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the freshly grated parmesan cheese.
IF YOU LOVE THIS ROASTED EGGPLANT AND TOMATO GNOCCHI, YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY,