Delicious and healthy, this mix of vegetables, spices, and lentils in this Easy Turmeric Broth Soup with Wild Rice and Vegetables is an easy vegetarian dinner perfect for chilly winter nights.
We have arrived in New Zealand! We woke up bright and early this morning after a full night sleep in New Zealand’s biggest and most populated city, Auckland. Auckland is great, but I’m ready to get out of the big city and get to nature. I have a quick second before we hop on one last flight and fly from Auckland to Christchurch so I thought I would pop in and say hi!
Anyway, for those of you still stuck in the middle of winter this turmeric broth soup is for you! Actually, just kidding. This soup is good all the time, year round, but I’m a soup lover, so I’ll let you be the judge. Hearty vegetables, fiber-packed lentils, healthy chickpeas, and delicious wild-rice are all surrounded by the most aromatic golden turmeric broth ever. It’s good stuff, you guys.
On that note, we’re off! Have the best day ever!
Easy Turmeric Broth Soup with Wild Rice and Vegetables
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion - diced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger - grated
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 12-14 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes OR 1 more can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry lentils - rinsed
- 1/2 cup wild rice - rinsed
- 1 small cauliflower - chopped into small florets
- 2 medium zucchini - chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans - drained
- 5 ounces fresh spinach or kale
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro - plus more for serving
- Additional salt and pepper - to taste
- Add olive oil to a large heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the fresh ginger and garlic to the onion and stir well to combine. Sauté for approximately 1 minute before stirring in the salt, ground turmeric, curry powder, and cumin in the onion. Stir continuously for one minute.
- Add the vegetable broth (or water), crushed tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, lentils, and wild rice to the pot. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for approximately 30 minutes.
- Add the chopped cauliflower, zucchini, garbanzo beans, kale, and cilantro to the pot. Return to a boil and cover. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until vegetables and lentils are fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, Tabasco sauce, or grated cheese, if desired.