This easy Turmeric Broth Soup is a powerhouse of healthy ingredients including wild rice, lentils, tomatoes, cauliflower, and flavorful spices including turmeric, curry powder, and cumin. A comforting vegan and gluten-free soup recipe perfect for chilly nights.
Turmeric Broth Soup with Wild Rice
I am a year-round soup lover. Summer, winter, hot or cold, soup feels good any time, anywhere. From classic chicken noodle soup to luscious butternut squash soup, aromatic Vietnamese pho and Mexican albondigas, soup is like a big hug (and I really like hugs).
Anyway, this turmeric broth soup is an incredible mix of healthy, feel-good, plant-based ingredients. Hearty vegetables, fiber-packed lentils, healthy chickpeas, and delicious wild rice are all surrounded by an irresistible and aromatic golden turmeric broth. It’s good stuff, you guys.
The best part? Make it your own by adding all your favorites and skipping the rest. Let’s make some.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this turmeric broth and wild rice soup,
- Ground turmeric
- Curry powder
- Ground cumin
- Water, vegetable broth, chicken stock, or bone broth
- Wild rice
This is what I sometimes refer to as a “trash soup” because, like a trash can, it welcomes just about anything. From fresh to frozen to nearly-spoiled vegetables, canned or dry beans and lentils, leftover rice to freshly cooked rice. Dig through your pantry, cupboards, and refrigerator. Something look good? Toss it in.
Possible substitutions or additions:
- Rice (since wild rice isn’t really a type of rice at all) – try brown rice or long-grain white rice.
- Shredded chicken or stew meat
- Vegetables – carrots, celery, bell pepper, chard, butternut squash, sweet potatoes
More Soup Recipes,
If you try making this Turmeric Broth Soup Recipe with Wild Rice, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Easy Turmeric Broth Soup with Wild Rice and Vegetables
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion - diced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger - grated
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 12-14 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes OR 1 more can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry lentils - rinsed
- 1/2 cup wild rice - rinsed
- 1 small cauliflower - chopped into small florets
- 2 medium zucchini - chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans - drained
- 5 ounces fresh spinach or kale
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro - plus more for serving
- Additional salt and pepper - to taste
- Add olive oil to a large heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the fresh ginger and garlic to the onion and stir well to combine. Sauté for approximately 1 minute before stirring in the salt, ground turmeric, curry powder, and cumin in the onion. Stir continuously for one minute.
- Add the vegetable broth (or water), crushed tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, lentils, and wild rice to the pot. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for approximately 30 minutes.
- Add the chopped cauliflower, zucchini, garbanzo beans, kale, and cilantro to the pot. Return to a boil and cover. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until vegetables and lentils are fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, Tabasco sauce, or grated cheese, if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)