This Chicken and Cabbage Recipe is a nutritious, low-carb, and easy-to-make anytime meal. Bursting with flavor from the tender and juicy chicken, sautéed onion, garlic, paprika, and cherry tomatoes, it’s a healthier twist on another personal favorite, corned beef and cabbage.
If you’re not a fan of red meat – or corned beef in particular – but love the taste of cabbage, this easy chicken and cabbage recipe is perfect for you. It’s a lighter dish that’s packed with tender chicken and vegetables, making it satisfying and balanced enough to eat as a main course. The nutritious cabbage is the main star of the dish, but if you’re craving carbs, you can add some noodles or even potatoes – or keep it simple and serve it with some fresh buttered bread. This delicious and easy-to-follow recipe is definitely a keeper and a delicious way to enjoy a healthy meal for one or for the whole family.
How to Make Chicken and Cabbage
- Brown the chicken: Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add in the chicken pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes until lightly browned and the chicken is fully cooked. Carefully transfer the chicken to a clean plate using a large slotted spoon.
- Sauté the onions: In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of olive oil and the diced onion, stirring to incorporate any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Cook the veggies and cabbage: Add minced garlic and paprika and sauté for one more minute. Mix in the shredded carrots, chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, and chopped cabbage. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Return the chicken and cook everything together: After 15 minutes, remove the cover and return the chicken to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated.
- Serve: Garnish with fresh parsley and red pepper flakes (optional).
Storage and Leftovers
Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. Reheat in a hot skillet or in the microwave until reheated. Freezing is not recommended.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Apple Butter Roasted Chicken with Potatoes
- Easy Sheet Pan Sumac Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
- Easy Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce
- Hawaiian Chicken
- Butter Chicken Recipe (Murgh Makhani)
If you try making this Chicken and Cabbage Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
Chicken and Cabbage
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs - trimmed of fat and cut into small pieces
- Salt + Pepper
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large yellow onion - diced
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 large cabbage - chopped
- Fresh chopped parsley - for garnish
- Red Pepper Flakes - if desired
- Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add olive oil to the pan and gently swirl to coat. When pan is hot add the chicken pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked and lightly browned. Carefully transfer chicken to a clean plate using a large slotted spoon.
- Using the same skillet or Dutch oven, place the pan over medium high heat. Add 1 more tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and the large diced yellow onion. Stir to coat the onion in oil and scrape off any brown bits that may be stuck to the bottom of your skillet. Sautè the onion for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onions just start to soften.
- Add the minced garlic and paprika to the onions and sautè for one more minute. Mix in the shredded carrots, chopped tomatoes, chicken stock and chopped cabbage. Reduce heat to medium low and cover with a fitted lid. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 15 minutes, remove cover and return chicken to the pan and mix with the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook on low for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until there is no liquid remaining.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and red pepper flakes (if desired).
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)