These Shrimp Tostadas with Sweet Strawberry Salsa have been sponsored by SPLENDA® Sweetener Products as part of a sponsored series for Socialstars™. As always, thanks for reading!
SHRIMP TOSTADAS are a year-round staple in my house. Perfectly marinated, these Shrimp Tostadas with Sweet Strawberry Salsa are surprisingly healthy, super easy to prepare, and take just 30 minutes to throw together!
Tostadas are one of my very favorite Mexican inspired dishes. In the past, I’ve been known to cook up these Salmon Tostadas with Pineapple Mango Salsa, Mexican Street Corn Tostadas, and Breakfast Tostadas.
If I were asked to describe my idea of the perfect summer night, it would probably include snuggling with my child in a hammock swing outside, a plate full of these delicious Shrimp Tostadas with Sweet Strawberry Salsa, and a glass of ice cold sparkling wine. Or water. But, wine would be better.
Shrimp Tostadas are pretty much an on constant rotation in my house when summertime hits. My child loves them, I love them, and, since my husband loves everything, well, he loves them too! Aside from this love for these delightful Shrimp Tostadas, there are about a million (exaggeration) other reasons why they are great.
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THESE SHRIMP TOSTADAS RIGHT NOW
- 30 minutes is all it takes to make these bad boys start to finish.
- These shrimp tostadas are actually super healthy.
- And they taste great hot OR cold!
- They make awesome leftovers (so make extra…hint hint)
- Plus they’re packed full of super healthy protein and fiber.
If you don’t like shrimp, that’s ok. Ditch the shrimp and marinate some chicken or steak.
Whatever you do, do this- marinate something in the sweet delicious marinade and top it with this Sweet Strawberry Salsa.
As I mentioned, the real magic for these Shrimp Tostadas is in the marinade. Salty, sweet, spicy, so good. You’ll love it.
But, the marinade is used for SO MUCH MORE than just pre-seasoning the shrimp. After the shrimp is finished marinating, hang on to the remaining marinade because it will be boiled and used a sauce for the shrimp and the beans!
I know! Mind BLOWN.
INGREDIENTS IN THE MAGICAL SHRIMP TOSTADAS MARINADE
- Sesame Oil
- SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener
- Olive Oil
- Soy Sauce
- Pineapple (or orange) juice
I’ll be honest, this marinade happened my accident. I had NO IDEA how it would turn out. But it remains one of my go-to marinades when I want something sweet without TONS of sugar.
The second best part of these Shrimp Tostadas? The Strawberry Salsa.
Who here loves fruit-filled salsas? Fruit salsa is my favorite. Mixed together with diced red onion, fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro, Strawberry Salsa (especially when mixed with creamy avocado and shrimp) is basically as good and good will get.
STRAWBERRY SALSA IS ALSO DELICIOUS WHEN PAIRED WITH,
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please share it using the hashtag #theforkedspoon or by tagging @theforkedspoon on INSTAGRAM! Follow The Forked Spoon on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of the latest recipes and updates.
SHRIMP TOSTADAS WITH SWEET STRAWBERRY SALSA
FOR THE SHRIMP
- 1.5 pounds thawed jumbo shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 1.5 tablespoon Sriracha - less if you're sensitive to spicy foods
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener packets
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple juice - or orange juice
FOR THE STRAWBERRY SALSA
- 1 pound fresh strawberries - diced
- 1 small red onion - diced
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro - chopped
- 1/2 lime juiced
FOR THE TOSTADA
- Corn or flour tortillas - OR pre-baked tostada shells
- 15 oz black refried beans - 1 can
- 2 avocados - pit removed and sliced
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Sriracha, minced garlic, sesame oil, olive oil, the SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener packets, soy sauce and fresh pineapple or orange juice. To the same bowl add thawed shrimp and mix to coat with the sauce. Cover and place bowl in the refrigerator; Marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- As the shrimp marinates, prepare the strawberry salsa and heat the refried black beans in a small pot over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove the beans from the pot and transfer to a serving bowl. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- To get crispy charred corn tortillas, place tortilla directly to the burner and cook until crispy (you may want to use tongs to do this). Do NOT leave your tortilla on the burner and walk away- always keep a close eye as it can (and will) catch on fire if left unattended.
- Remove the shrimp from the refrigerator and heat a large skillet over medium high heat. When the skillet is warm, add the shrimp with the marinade and cook shrimp for approximately 2-3 minutes per side. With shrimp fully cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove from the skillet (leaving the marinade to simmer for an additional 1-2 minutes more). Remove skillet from heat.
- With the leftover marinade (now sauce) you can 1). save it and use it just as it is (a sauce), or 2). Mix the sauce with the refried beans. Both are very good options.
- Build your tostadas first with a layer of beans followed by avocado, shrimp and strawberry salsa.
IF YOU LOVE THIS SHRIMP TOSTADA RECIPE WITH SWEET STRAWBERRY SALSA, YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY