SWEET PEPPER AND SAUSAGE BREAKFAST HASH is a delicious anytime combination made with sweet potatoes, sweet maple sausage, caramelized shallots, zucchini, and sweet mini peppers. Fantastic as is or topped with creamy guacamole, fresh tomatoes, berries, and a hot fried egg.
Delicious for breakfast, brunch, or dinner, the BREAKFAST HASH is a great way to use up leftovers and meal prep for the week. A long-time fan of this rebel breakfast food, you may also find me cooking up this Potato Hash Stuffed Acorn Squash with Sausage, Sweet Potato + Butternut Squash Hash with Feta and Poached Egg, and Corned Beef, Potato and Egg Hash, while dancing in my kitchen.Jump to Recipe
I made this Sweet Pepper and Sausage Breakfast Hash for dinner one night on a whim. And, to be totally honest, I nearly forgot to take a photo. Subconsciously, I don’t think I considered it a “bloggable” recipe. It was too easy, I said. Too basic, I thought. No one would care about making this, I told my husband as he dug into his bowl. But then I tried a bite of this simple and healthy breakfast hash and realized I was so totally wrong.
INGREDIENTS IN THIS SWEET PEPPER AND SAUSAGE BREAKFAST HASH
- sweet mini peppers
- sweet potatoes
- chipotle powder
- chipotle powder
- maple chicken breakfast sausage
- green onions
- fried egg
My motivation behind this breakfast hash … don’t let anything in the refrigerator go bad. Translation- refrigerator cleanout breakfast hash.
Refrigerator cleanout recipes like this BBQ Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole with Kale or these Vegetarian Kitchen Sink Tacos with Tempeh always end up being some of my favorite recipes. They’re spontaneous, a mish-mash of flavors, and completely random.
BREAKFAST HASH TOPPINGS
- guacamole or avocado
- cherry tomatoes
- fruit- I had blackberries on hand and they were the perfect sweet addition
- fresh herbs or greens- cilantro, green onion, etc.
- toasted bread with butter
WHAT IS A HASH?
A hash is basically a dish consisting of chopped or diced meat, potatoes, and spices cooked or fried together. The type of meat or potato used in a hash varies from home to region, to time period. One thing is for sure about a hash- there are no rules. And that is probably why they are the best place to use up all those delicious leftovers in your refrigerator…and why I love them so much.
HOW TO MAKE A BREAKFAST HASH WITHOUT A RECIPE
Assuming you have some kind of food and basic cooking knowledge, making a breakfast hash- like this Sweet Pepper and Sausage Breakfast Hash- is pretty darn easy.
- Got meat? Yes, it’s true. Most breakfast hashes contain some kind of meat. You can skip the meat, but a hash typically has some kind of meaty protein component. That said, meat alternatives, like tempeh, would taste pretty awesome. Chop chop chop your meat and quickly sauté on your skillet. Remove.
- Onion, garlic (Allium), oh my! Pick at least one of the following and fry with some butter, oil, or other fat- onion, garlic, scallion, shallot, leek, or chives.
- You need a potato. Sweet potatoes are the best (just sayin’). Dice that potato and fry with the allium.
- Season so good. Keep it simple or go totally wild, I’ll leave this one up to you.
- All the veggies. My favorite thing to do is go through my refrigerator once a week, pull out what looks like it’s about to spoil and cook it all together.
- Yolked. enough said.
- Top off. Have fun with some unexpected toppings. Sure, everyone thinks cheese and tomatoes will taste great, but blackberries? Try it. It’s delish!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Made with sweet potatoes, sweet maple sausage, caramelized shallots, zucchini, and sweet mini peppers this SWEET PEPPER AND SAUSAGE BREAKFAST HASH is a delicious breakfast or easy dinner and topped with creamy guacamole, fresh tomatoes, berries, and a hot fried egg. Leftovers store well and taste great heated up the next day.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 shallots diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 8 mini sweet peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 12 ounces Maple chicken breakfast sausage chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium zucchini chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion chopped
- 4 eggs fried
- chives chopped
- guacamole homemade or store-bought
- cherry tomatoes halved
- toasted bread with butter
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot and the oil is shimmering, add the chopped shallots and quickly toss to combine with the oil. Allow the shallots to cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately minutes 6-7 minutes. Add the garlic to the shallots and sauté for 1 minute more.
To the same skillet add the mini sweet peppers and the sweet potatoes and stir well to combine with the onion and garlic. Reduce heat to medium. Cook the potatoes, stirring frequently, for approximately 8-10 minutes, or until they just start to soften.
Season with salt, black pepper, and chipotle powder. Add the maple chicken breakfast sausage (*see notes) and mix well to combine. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
Finally, add the zucchini and green onion to the skillet and carefully mix everything together. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat to rest.
Gather any desired optional toppings and fry the eggs (1-2 eggs per person).
Distribute the sweet pepper and potato breakfast hash evenly among desired bowls and top with egg, chopped chives, and any other desired toppings (the buttered bread and sweet cherry tomatoes come highly recommended!).
- If you are not using pre-cooked sausage, add the sausage at the same time as the mini sweet peppers and the sweet potatoes as it will require longer cooking time. You may also need to add an additional teaspoon of olive oil to the pan to keep the sausage from sticking.
- Leftovers of this Sweet Pepper and Sausage Hash store extremely well in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. That said, I recommend frying a new egg just before serving.
IF YOU LOVE THIS SWEET PEPPER AND SAUSAGE BREAKFAST HASH, YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY