This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is an easy, cheesy, and delicious breakfast recipe made with frozen tater tots, sausage, eggs, and lots of cheese! Perfect for breakfast or dinner, you can make it ahead, the day of, or freeze it for later.
Breakfast Casserole with Tater Tots
There are countless ways to make a breakfast casserole, but this tater-tot and sausage breakfast casserole is definitely one of the best. Cheesy, creamy, and so easy to make, it’s made with frozen tater tots for easy prep and minimal clean-up.
The perfect make-ahead and bake later kinda breakfast, it’s also great to make and bake right away. Enjoy hot out of the oven, or save the leftovers and enjoy all week.
Customize your casserole with veggies like spinach or bell peppers, or add extra seasonings or fresh herbs.
Does this casserole need to be chilled overnight?
No. However, the longer the casserole sits in the refrigerator, the more time the tater tots will have to soak up the egg and milk mixture. I recommend at least 45 minutes as it gives the tater tots enough time to thaw.
How to Make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
1. Spray a large 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, then line the bottom of the dish with your frozen tater tots in an even layer.
2. Add the olive oil to a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and diced onion and cook until the onion softens and turns translucent and the sausage is browned and fully cooked about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before topping the tater tots with the sausage and onion mixture.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, milk, eggs, and cayenne pepper. Once thoroughly combined, stir in the shredded cheese.
4. Pour the egg and cheese mixture over the tater tots and cooked sausage, then cover with foil and transfer to the refrigerator. Allow the casserole to sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F when ready to bake. Tent the baking dish with foil (so that the foil is not touching the cheese) and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the edges start to bubble. Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Storage and Freezing
How to store leftovers? Cool completely, then transfer any leftovers to an airtight container and keep them stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave until hot.
How to freeze tater tot breakfast casserole? Allow the casserole to cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe, air-tight container. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
How to Serve
This easy tater tot breakfast casserole is delicious with a side of fruit or a seasonal fruit salad. I always love to serve mine with a big glass of orange juice. When I make this recipe for Christmas morning, I’ll add freshly baked cinnamon rolls or blueberry muffins.
When serving as leftovers, I’ll sometimes serve them over a pile of fresh greens or wrap them in a warm tortilla with sour cream, tomatoes, green onions, or chives for an easy on-the-go breakfast.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Breakfast Casserole
- Freezer-Friendly Croissant Breakfast Sandwichs
- Quiche Lorraine
- Crustless Quiche
- Overnight Oats Recipe
- Crispy Hash Browns
If you try making this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe, please leave me a comment below! I always love to read your thoughts and feedback!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen tater tots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground sausage - sweet Italian sausage, spicy Italian sausage, or breakfast sausage
- 1 large onion - diced
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cup sharp cheddar cheese - shredded
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese - shredded
- Spray a large 9×13-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray, then line the bottom of the dish with your frozen tater tots in an even layer.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and ground sausage. Cook until the onions have softened and the sausage is fully cooked, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the sausage and onions to cool slightly before layering them over the tater tots.
- Whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, milk, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Once thoroughly combined, stir in the shredded cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the layered tater tots and cooked sausage, then cover with foil and transfer to the refrigerator. Allow the casserole to sit in the refrigerator for at least 45 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F when ready to bake. Tent the casserole dish with foil (so that the foil is not touching the cheese) and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the edges start to bubble. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, serve, and enjoy!
- This casserole can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheated in the microwave for about 45 seconds per serving.
- You can store this casserole in the freezer for up to 2 months. Simply allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight before baking according to the original directions.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)