This Vegan Vegetable Soup is an easy way to get your veggies in. It’s so cozy and comforting yet so wholesome and healthy–the perfect winter lunch or dinner!
This homemade vegetable soup recipe is one of my favorites– warm, comforting, and yet packed with veggies. This super healthy, hearty soup is perfect for meal prep – just heat any leftover soup on the stovetop or in the microwave, and you’re good to go the next day!
A vegan take on a classic soup, this recipe uses veggie broth but is still packed with savory flavor. It’s full of a variety of fresh vegetables seasoned to perfection, but the secret ingredient is actually oats (which keep it filling and heart-healthy!)
If you’re looking to foray into vegan recipes, this is your sign–get your soup pot ready!
How to Make Vegan Vegetable Soup
Place a heavy-bottom stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once it’s hot, add the onion and leeks and let them cook for 4-5 minutes, frequently stirring (the onions should soften and become fragrant). Add the minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and mushrooms, and stir. Let everything cook for another 3-4 minutes, then add the chopped carrots and stir. Let cook for another minute or two.
Increase the heat to high and carefully add 8-10 cups of water or vegetable broth. Stir the chopped cauliflower, zucchini, and bay leaves into the soup and bring it to a boil.
Then, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer for 45 minutes to two hours (or until the veggies are soft). Stir in the oats and chopped kale, and let the soup continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes.
Season with salt and cracked pepper to taste (add extra salt and pepper if you used water instead of broth).
How to Serve
This vegetable soup makes a delicious and nourishing lunch or dinner. Cook it in batches to eat all week! Serve it on its own or with some crusty bread, a simple sandwich, or a side salad.
Storage and Freezing
This winter veggie soup should last in your fridge in an airtight container for about three days. It can also technically be frozen for up to three months, although it will become less fresh the longer it stays in the freezer.
More Soup Recipes:
If you try making this Vegan Soup Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
Vegan Vegetable Soup
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion - finely chopped
- 1 medium leek - trimmed and thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms - thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots - chopped
- 10 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 small head of cauliflower - roughly chopped
- 2 zucchini - chopped into small pieces
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 10 ounces chopped kale
- salt + pepper - to taste
- Over medium heat, heat olive oil in a large, heavy bottom stockpot or Dutch oven. Once hot, add onion and leeks and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onions are soft and fragrant. Add minced garlic, Italian seasoning and mushrooms to the pot and stir to combine. Cook for 3-4 minutes before adding the chopped carrots. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and carefully add 8-10 cups of water or vegetable broth to the pot. Stir in the chopped cauliflower, zucchini, and bay leaves to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook soup for at least 45 minutes to 2 hours, or until all vegetables are soft and fully cooked. Carefully stir in the oats and chopped kale and continue to cook for 10-15 minutes. Season with a few generous pinches of salt (especially if you used water as the base) and fresh cracked pepper.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)