These Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are perfectly crispy, extra juicy, and so flavorful! Ready in less than 20 minutes and perfect with all of your favorite dinner side dishes.
Perfect Chicken Thighs in the Air Fryer
If an official “best way” to cook bone-in skin-on chicken thighs existed, the air fryer would be the clear winner. Not exaggerating, the crispness of that chicken skin was complete perfection. So mind-blowing, I can still hear the crackling. I doubt I’ll ever make chicken thighs any other way again.
Note that this recipe is for bone-in skin-on chicken thighs. My husband and my son’s favorite (and now, thanks to the air fryer, mine too). You can cook boneless or skinless or boneless skinless chicken thighs in the air fryer, but the total cooking time will change. Please see the section for (approximate) cooking times below.
How Long to Cook Chicken Thighs in the Air Fryer
With your air fryer preheated to 380°F, it will take approximately:
- 18-22 minutes for bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 16-20 minutes for boneless skinless chicken thighs
Total cooking time varies whenever you cook poultry, so always measure the internal temperature with a digital meat thermometer before serving (it should register 165°F).
How to Cook Chicken Thighs in the Air Fryer
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels (this helps make the skin extra crispy) and drizzle with olive oil.
- Mix together the paprika, brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper in a small bowl. Season the chicken thighs.
- Once the air fryer is preheated, spray the basket with nonstick cooking spray and add the chicken thighs in a single layer.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then flip the chicken thighs over, and continue to cook for an additional 8-12 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Tips for Crispy Skin
- It isn’t necessary to wash the chicken thighs, however, it is encouraged to pat the chicken dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. This helps guarantee even crispier chicken skin.
- Skip marinading and use a dry rub instead. Marinades add too much moisture making it difficult for the skin to get crispy.
- You only need a little oil. Too much oil and the skin will be soggy.
Have you tried making this Air Fryer Chicken Thighs Recipe?
Tell me about it in the comments below! I always love to hear your thoughts. And tag me #theforkedspoon on Instagram if you’ve made any of my recipes, I always love to see what you’re cooking in the kitchen.
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer
- Preheat your air fryer to 380°F.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels. Transfer the chicken to a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Mix well to coat.
- Combine the paprika, brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper in a small bowl. Mix well. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken thighs with the seasoning mixture.
- Spray the inside basket of the air fryer with non-stick cooking spray. Add the chicken thighs so that they are not overlapping (see notes).
- Cook for 10 minutes at 380°F. Flip the chicken over and continue to cook for an additional 8-12 minutes, or until the internal temperature registers 165° as measured with an instant-read thermometer (cooking time will vary).
- Some people say that it is better to cook the chicken thighs skin-side-down first. I neither agree nor disagree as I’ve cooked mine both skin-side-up and skin-side-down first and either way, they always turn out fantastic.
- Store leftover chicken thighs in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat in the air fryer, preheat to 380 degrees F and spray the inside basket with a light coat of non-stick cooking spray. Reheat for 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- This recipe was cooked in the Cosori Air Fryer Max XL.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)