This super simple Arugula Salad is made with fresh peppery arugula and shaved parmesan cheese in a light and tangy lemon dressing. So light, refreshing, and easy to make, enjoy this easily customizable dinnertime side salad any night of the week.
Simple Arugula Salad
This amazing arugula salad with shaved parmesan is my go-to whenever my body is craving something light, refreshing, and simple. It’s a great salad to throw together for holidays or dinner parties as it pairs perfectly with just about everything.
Made with just two main ingredients – peppery arugula and sharp parmesan cheese – all that’s left is the lemon dressing that’s made with extra virgin olive oil (regular olive oil is fine), fresh lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Great with chicken, shrimp, or steak, my favorite way to enjoy this arugula salad is piled on top of avocado toast and on top of my favorite pizza.
What is Arugula?
Arugula, also known as rocket, rucola, and roquette, is a leafy green vegetable that is a member of the cabbage and mustard green family. Popular in Italian cuisine, it may be eaten raw (as in salads) or cooked. It can be found year-round but is at peak freshness in the early spring and fall.
How to Make Arugula Salad
After the arugula has been washed with cold water and dried thoroughly, whisk together the lemon with the extra virgin olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Transfer the arugula to a large bowl and drizzle with the lemon dressing, tossing well to combine. Top with as much (or as little) shaved parmesan as you’d like (I always like a little extra) and season with additional cracked pepper, to taste.
This salad is best enjoyed immediately. Waiting too long will cause the leaves to wilt and get soggy.
What Goes Well With Arugula Salad
My favorite way to serve this fresh arugula salad is piled on top of pizza, burgers, avocado toast, or pasta. It’s a great way to add extra greens to any meal! A delicious side salad – especially with all of your favorite Italian recipes like spaghetti, lasagna, or meatballs.
Popular Arugula Salad Modifications
Easily dress up this simple salad by adding one or a few of the following:
Check out these other arugula recipes like my Orzo Arugula Salad with Feta and Grapes and this Arugula Salad with Beluga Lentils, Butternut Squash, and Grapes.
Have you tried making this delicious arugula salad?
Tell me about it in the comments below! I always love to hear your thoughts. And tag me #theforkedspoon on Instagram if you’ve made any of my recipes, I always love to see what you’re cooking in the kitchen.
Arugula Salad with Shaved Parmesan
- 5 ounces baby arugula - washed and dried thoroughly
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium lemon - juiced
- salt and black pepper - to taste (see notes)
- ½ cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano - plus more to taste
- Wash and dry your arugula thoroughly. Transfer to a large salad bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil with the lemon juice. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Drizzle the lemon dressing over the arugula and mix really well to combine.
- Top with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano and gently toss to combine. Add additional Parmesan, salt, and pepper, as needed.
- Best served immediately.
- Season and balance the dressing to suit your own personal preference. You may find that you want to add additional lemon juice or EVOO. Also, if you feel like it needs something sweet (sometimes I do depending on how it’s being served) try adding a little honey to the dressing, or a handful of dried cranberries to the salad.
- This recipe is gluten-free and low in carbs.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)