Easy, Cheesy Mashed Potato and Herb Stuffed Mushrooms with Caramelized Onions and Parmesan Cheese. Vegetarian and gluten-free, this beautiful bite-size appetizer is the perfect game day or holiday appetizer.
One of my top must-have appetizers for any party or gathering is these Cheesy Mashed potatoes and Herb Stuffed Mushrooms with Caramelized Onions. These fun stuffed mushrooms are super easy to prepare and are always a huge hit over at my house. And they look so darn pretty on any serving platter, they’ll be snatched up in seconds.
Plus, they are super customizable…
Not in the mood to caramelize onions? Don’t sweat it. These stuffed mushrooms filled with cheesy, creamy mashed potatoes are like a blank canvas. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and bacon bits instead. Easy, right?
Although, I do highly recommend the caramelized onions- paired with mashed potatoes, it’s like a match made in heaven. So, I don’t know about you guys, but I’ll be going Big on Game Day.
You may also like: How to Caramelize Onions
More appetizer recipes,
- Soppressata and Radiant Provolone Cones
- Ricotta and White Bean Dip with Roasted Strawberries
- Sweet and Tangy Slow Cooker Cranberry Meatballs
- Hot Crab Artichoke Dip Recipe
- Canned Artichoke Hearts with Parmesan Breadcrumb Topping
If you try making these Potato and Herb Stuffed Mushrooms, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Mashed Potato and Herb Stuffed Mushrooms with Caramelized Onions
- 18 baby portabella mushrooms - stems removed - 18 to 24 mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion - sliced
- 2 packages Idaho Spuds Country Butter Mashed Potatoes - prepared
- ½ cup cooked wild or white rice - optional
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese - shredded
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese - plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare mushroom caps and place them on prepared baking sheet. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat. Add olive oil and butter and cook onions for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onions are completely caramelized.
- While the onions are cooking, prepare the mashed potato filling. In a medium bowl mix together the prepared Idaho Spuds Country Butter Mashed Potatoes with the cooked wild rice, fresh thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, salt, pepper white cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese. Taste mixture, adding more salt and pepper as needed.
- With a small spoon add the cheesy mashed potato mixture into the cavity of each mushroom, squeezing in as much as you can. Each mushroom will hold a different amount, some more some less.
- When the onions are finished caramelizing (so worth the wait!), carefully scoop a little on to the top of each mushroom cap. Place stuffed mushrooms in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and top each mushroom cap with a little extra parmesan and fresh herbs and continue to cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Best served immediately.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)