Eating healthy has never been easier thanks to this nourishing One-Pot Chicken, Kale, and Rice Soup. Filled shredded chicken, simple pantry essentials, and fresh seasonal veggies, you’ll love everything about this comforting soup recipe.
One-Pot Chicken, Kale, and Rice Soup
This chicken and rice soup took me by surprise. What started as a simple refrigerator cleanout, somehow wound up being one of my favorite winter soups. Admittedly, I’m new to rice-filled soups. Growing up my parents always gave us canned chicken and rice soup, and I hated it. Well, silly me, I assumed all chicken and rice soups tasted the same.
You guys, I was so wrong. And this recipe? Totally delicious.
Filled with tons of healthy veggies and lean shredded chicken, my favorite part is the KALE! I have always loved kale, but it’s usually not one of those ingredients that cherry-pick from the pot. Not a fan? No worries, leave it out or substitute it with different leafy greens like chard or spinach.
RELATED: Easy Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
- Olive oil
- Brown rice (or long-grain rice)
- Italian seasoning, dried thyme, salt, and pepper
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Dry white wine
- Artichoke hearts
- Lemon juice
I used lacinato kale (also known as Tuscan kale) to make this soup. For best results (and especially if you’re new to kale), I recommend separating the bumpy leafy parts from the thick, woody stems before cooking as, even after cooking, they can be quite tough and stringy.
Looking for variation? Try adding:
- Chili oil or hot sauce
- Grated parmesan cheese
This recipe, as written, is gluten-free and dairy-free.
How to Make One-Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
Sauté the onion and aromatics in a large pot with a little olive oil. I didn’t add any carrots, celery, or leeks, but if any of those vegetables sound like delicious additions, add them at the same time as the onions and cook until softened.
Toast the rice and add the herbs. Add the rice, Italian seasoning, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add your broth – store-bought, homemade chicken stock, or water.
Bring to a boil and add the chicken. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer for approximately 30-35 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the soup. The chicken will be very hot. Give them at least 5-10 minutes to cool.
Add the white wine (optional), artichoke hearts, and zucchini. Simmer for approximately 4-5 minutes.
Shred the chicken and return to the pot. Add the freshly chopped kale (the pot will be full, but the kale will shrink) and stir. Continue to cook until the kale is wilted and all the vegetables are fully cooked – about 5-10 minutes.
Garnish and serve.
More Chicken Soup Recipes,
If you try making this One-Pot Chicken, Kale, and Rice Soup Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Chicken and Rice Soup with Kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup brown rice ((see notes))
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt + pepper (to taste)
- 10 cups low-sodium chicken broth ( or water)
- 1.5 pounds chicken ((see notes))
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 15 oz artichoke hearts (one (15 oz) can, chopped)
- 3 medium zucchini (chopped)
- 5 ounces fresh kale (woody stems removed and roughly chopped)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- Red pepper flakes (to garnish)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot add the chopped onions and mix. Sauté for approximately 6-8, minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the minced garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add the rice, Italian seasoning, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly to combine. Cook for 1 minute before adding chicken broth (or water) to the pot.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add the chicken breasts, then reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer for approximately 30-35 minutes.
- Very carefully remove the chicken breasts from the pot and set them aside on a plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, add the white wine (optional), artichoke hearts, and zucchini to the pot. Mix well. Increase heat to medium and allow vegetables to cook for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Shred the chicken and return to the pot. Add the freshly chopped kale (the pot will be full, but the kale will shrink) and stir. Continue to cook until the kale is wilted and all the vegetables are fully cooked, approximately 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chili flakes and fresh lemon juice.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)