I don’t have cable in my house, so any form of television I get comes from either Netflix or Hulu. This has worked great for me since my TV time is limited and usually just background noise anyway; however I would be lying if I said I didn’t LOVE my treadmill time at the gym for no reason other than zoning out to HGTV.
Seriously, Joanna Gaines makes me want to move out to Texas just so she and her adorable husband can fix up a 100-year-old dump for me. Sadly, that will probably never happen. In the mean time, I’ll just have to tough it out in cookie-cutter suburbia and live vicariously through all those lucky Waco residents.
(Totally KIDDING! I love where I live)
So while I was jogging on the treadmill tonight, catching up on my favorite Fixer Uppers, I just so happened to sneak a peak at the giant TV screen directly in front of my face hanging from the ceiling (you know, it’s kinda hard to miss). The weather forecast was on and it appears much of the country is either expecting rain or snow. Whenever I see this, I instantly think…
While most of us will be filling our bellies with the feasts of Thanksgiving over the next several days, this soup is a terrific and healthy option if you feel the need for a little break from all the heavy and rich food.
You guys, this soup is SO good. I don’t usually like rice in my soup, but this soup is a total winner and made me a rice soup believer. Filled with tons of healthy veggies and lean shredded chicken, I have to admit, my favorite part of this entire soup is the KALE! I mean, I like kale, but it’s usually not one of those ingredients that I wish I could have more and more of- until now.
Chicken and Rice Soup with KalePrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion - chopped
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 cup wild rice - or grain of choice
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- salt + pepper - to taste
- 10 cups low-sodium chicken broth - or water
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup dry white wine - optional
- 15 oz artichoke hearts - one 15 oz can, chopped
- 3 medium zucchini - chopped
- 5 ounces fresh chopped kale
- 1 lemon juiced
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Once hot add the chopped onion and mix. Sauté for approximately 3-4 minutes or until onions soften and become fragrant. Stir in the minced garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Add the rice, Italian seasoning, dried thyme, salt and pepper and mix. Cook for 1 minute before adding chicken broth or water to the pot. Stir the pot and increase heat to high.
- Bring liquid to a boil. Add chicken breasts, reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Continue to cook soup on low for 30-35 minutes.
- Very carefully remove the chicken breasts from the pot and set them aside on a plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, add the white wine (optional), artichoke hearts, and zucchini to the pot. Mix well. Increase heat to medium and allow vegetables to cook for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Shred the chicken and return to the pot. Add the freshly chopped kale (the pot will be full, but the kale will shrink) and stir. Continue to cook until kale is wilted and all the vegetables are fully cooked, approximately 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chili flakes and fresh lemon juice.