This Greek Lemon Chicken Soup features Artichoke Hearts and Couscous.
Hey there! Happy Saturday!
Please tell me you have some fun and exciting plans for the weekend because I … don’t. Actually, that’s not entirely true.
My excitement is that I’m still in my pj’s, don’t have to be anywhere and my child is upstairs taking a nice long nap. Thanks to a long visit from the gardener this morning, I was able to get my cooking done fast and early, allowing me to binge watch Netflix’s “Making a Murderer” and get some quality blogging.
So what did I cook up this morning? soup.
Yep, another soup. Sorry I’m definitely NOT sorry.
You guys, this is not just any soup. This is easily one of the most delicious soups I have ever eaten. ANYWHERE. I was actually a little blown away by the awesomeness of this soup.
Since it is still raining and pouring over here in California and I am on a mission to use up each and every one of the lemons my mother-in-law gave me, a lemon soup sounded like just the thing to make on this gloomy Saturday.
Artichokes and feta cheese are two of my favorite things, so I had pretty high expectations for this soup.
But, OH MY GOSH. Hints of lemon, tart feta, infused fresh garlic and big chunks of soft artichokes with every bite. I’ll have another bowl, please!
It is also one of the easiest soups to throw together. But, if you’re looking to save even more time, toss in some shredded rotisserie chicken instead of boiling the chicken breasts yourself.
And, on that note, my child is awake. Binge Netflix watching and chatting with you lovely people must end for now…
Have a lovely weekend, friends!
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup with Artichoke Hearts and Couscous
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion (peeled, quartered and sliced)
- 10 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 lemons (zested and juiced)
- 10 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (boiled and shredded)
- 1 cup Israeli pearl couscous
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (more if you like it hot)
- 28 oz artichoke hearts (two 14 oz cans )
- 7 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions (chopped)
- salt + pepper
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and add the onion. Cook the onion for 2-3 minutes, or until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. Stir in the minced garlic and continue to cook for an additional minute, until garlic is nice and fragrant.
- Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, chicken or vegetable broth, chicken breasts, salt and pepper and crushed red pepper. Turn heat to high, cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and allow soup to simmer for 5-10 minutes more.
- Stir in the couscous and artichoke hearts and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Using tongs, remove the chicken breasts from the pot and shred it with a fork (or simple cut into small bite size pieces). Return chicken to the pot and turn off the heat. Stir in the crumbled feta and chopped green onions directly into the pot, or reserve and garnish each individual bowl separately.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)