Chicken and Butternut Squash is an easy and comforting meal made with chicken, butternut squash, mushrooms, and a delicious light cream sauce. Enjoy this easy Chicken and Butternut Squash Recipe with rice, roasted potatoes, or toasted bread.
Butternut Squash recipes are a must-have for the cooler winter months and include these reader favorites- Spicy Thai Pumpkin and Butternut Squash Ramen and Chicken, Cauliflower and Butternut Squash Skillet Alfredo Pie.
When I think of autumn, I think of shorter days, big pots filled with warm comforting food, and butternut squash. If you’ve visited this blog more than once or twice, you’ll quickly discover my love for things cooked in pots and filled with squash. This easy Chicken and Butternut Squash is no exception.
I originally made this chicken and butternut squash one-pot wonder nearly two years ago and have made it many times since. It’s the complete package, and perfect whenever you’re craving something comforting and healthy, but don’t feel quite ready to commit to soup.
Packed full of delicious veggies like mushrooms (ok, those are actually fungi, not a plant, but, same difference), onion, and butternut squash, this Chicken and Butternut Squash Recipe is super yummy and perfect enjoyed with a side of mashed potatoes, rice or quinoa.
Or, you can keep it super simple and serve this delicious meal with toasted buttery bread.
Because bread is everything…aside from butternut squash, of course.
Ingredients in this Easy Chicken and Butternut Squash Recipe
- Italian seasoning
- butternut squash
- chicken broth
- whole milk
- fresh parsley
How to make this Easy Chicken and Butternut Squash Recipe
Ok, friends, here’s how it goes…
- Get the chicken ready. First things first, pound your chicken to even thickness. This is super important in ensuring that the chicken cooks evenly. Plus, it will make your life easier if you’re cooking the chicken in batches, which you probably will be. Season your chicken with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and thyme. Transfer the chicken to a large ziplock bag, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with flour to coat.
- If you prefer to keep this recipe gluten-free, skip the flour and leave it out. It’s not essential to the flavor of the chicken.
- Brown the chicken in a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven. You may need to cook the chicken in batches. If you’re short on time, you may also chop the chicken into cubes before cooking. Remove the browned chicken to a clean plate and set aside.
- Return pot to the stove. Melt butter and add the butternut squash. You’ll be adding the butternut squash first, then the onion, and finally, the mushrooms, cooking for approximately 5 minutes between each addition.
- Return the chicken to the pot.
- Add the chicken broth. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in the milk (or cream) to combine. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
HEALTHY MODIFICATIONS TO THIS CHICKEN AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- Ditch the heavy cream…and the half and half…use whole milk instead. Of course, you don’t have to do this. But it’s an option that tastes amazing.
- Instead of chicken thighs, use chicken breasts which are lower in fat.
Ok, just kidding. The list isn’t super long, but that’s only because it was pretty healthy to start.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS CHICKEN AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH
Does the answer anything count? No? Ok, fair enough.
If I were about to host a hypothetical dinner party with friends and I wanted to turn this chicken and butternut squash into a complete meal, I would serve it with-
- cheesy tortellini and a green salad.
- rice pilaf and sautéed brussels sprouts.
- four cheese mashed potatoes with crispy sage and oven roasted green beans
For more butternut squash recipes check out,
- Pork Chops with Apples
- Vegetarian Butternut Squash Black Bean Soup
- Miso Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
- How to Roast Butternut Squash
- Butternut Squash, Zucchini, and Spinach Lasagna
For more chicken recipes check out,
- Autumn Chicken and Pear Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
- Chicken Gyro Recipe
- Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe
- Easy Sheet Pan Thai Chicken with Bok Choy
- Citrus Chicken Marinade Recipe
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS EASY CHICKEN AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPE WITH MUSHROOMS TO MAKE FOR A FAST, EASY, AND COMFORTING FALL DINNER THE WHOLE FAMILY WILL LOVE.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Easy Chicken and Butternut Squash Recipe with Mushrooms
- 6 thinly sliced boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt + pepper
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour divided
- 3 tbsp butter divided
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, seeded and chopped into cubes
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 20 oz crimini mushrooms sliced (approximately 4-6 cups depending on how much you like mushrooms)
- 1.5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk or 1/2 cup half and half or cream
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped , + more for serving
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and dried thyme. Place the chicken in a large ziplock bag and drizzle with approximately 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix chicken thoroughly to evenly coat with oil and sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Seal the bag and toss around the chicken breasts until each is completely coated with flour. Set aside.
- Melt 1-2 tablespoons of butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Carefully add chicken breasts to the Dutch oven in a single layer. Cook, undisturbed, for 3-4 minutes, before flipping over to cook the other side for an additional 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove to a plate and set aside. Repeat with any uncooked chicken breasts.
- To the same pot melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil. Add the chopped butternut squash and stir to coat. Cook for 5 minutes, or until squash just starts to soften. Add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Stir in the mushrooms with the onion and butternut squash. Sauté the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes, or until mushrooms just start to release their water.
- Add chicken back to the pot, carefully nestling among the vegetables and gently stir in the vegetable or chicken broth. Bring liquid to a low boil and cook, uncovered for 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, gently stirring to prevent burning.
- Ladle a few tablespoons of broth into a bowl. Slowly add 3-4 tablespoons of milk, cream or half-and-half and mix. Add in the remaining cream and mix. Slowly pour the bowl of cream into the pot with the chicken and gently mix to evenly distribute the broth and cream. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!