This Creamy Mushroom Chicken Recipe is quick, easy, and ready in just 30 minutes. Made with juicy pan-fried chicken and smothered in a finger-licking creamy garlic mushroom sauce, the whole family will love this delicious weeknight dinner recipe.
Ready in just about 30 minutes, this easy recipe is another in a long list of chicken skillet recipes that I know you’ll enjoy – others including this creamy chicken florentine and this creamy Tuscan chicken skillet.
Served over rice, cooked pasta, buttery mashed potatoes, or even low-carb (keto-approved) sides like cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower, this creamy mushroom chicken is an unforgettable dinner and one of my very favorite chicken recipes.
Ingredients and Tips
- chicken breasts
- salt & pepper
- all-purpose flour
- olive oil and butter
- Italian seasoning
- white wine (optional)
- chicken broth
- heavy cream
- parmesan cheese
TIP: if you like a lot of extra sauce, I suggest doubling up on the ingredients needed to make the sauce. To help thicken it up a bit, you may want to add a little cornstarch slurry (start with 1-2 teaspoons cornstarch with 1-2 tbsp water) and see how that works before adding too much thickener.
TIP: You may also use boneless skinless chicken thighs. I prefer chicken breasts as they are less heavy when compared to chicken thighs.
TIP: You can use most kinds of mushrooms in this recipe including white mushrooms, crimini, or baby bellas (baby portobello mushrooms).
How to Make Creamy Mushroom Chicken
1. Prep your chicken
Some stores sell “thinly sliced” chicken breasts. If this option isn’t available to you, that’s ok. It’s super easy to do it yourself.
Simply slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise to make four thinner chicken breast cutlets. You could also pound your chicken breasts to equal thickness, however, I find that to be more work and significantly messier.
Next, season both sides of your chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika. Feel free to add other seasonings like garlic powder or onion powder.
Dredge in flour.
- TIP: Omit the flour if you are sensitive to gluten or following a low-carb, keto diet.
Sear the chicken in a hot skillet for approximately 4 minutes on each side. They should be golden brown on the outside and nearly (though not completely) cooked on the inside.
Remove the chicken to a clean plate.
3. Cook the mushrooms
Sauté the mushrooms in butter until golden. Season with Italian seasoning and add the garlic.
Remove the mushrooms to a clean plate.
4. Make the cream sauce
Deglaze the skillet and add the chicken broth. Bring to a low boil, reduce to a simmer, then add the heavy whipping cream and grated parmesan cheese.
5. Finish and serve
Return the chicken and mushrooms to the skillet. Allow the chicken to finish cooking and the sauce to thicken, approximately 3-5 minutes.
Season as needed and serve!
How to Serve
Sometimes, however, my favorite thing to serve with this recipe is a combination of different veggies like broccoli, asparagus, green beans, and, of course, zucchini. Steamed, roasted, or sauteed, any and all vegetables go amazingly well with a little cream sauce.
More delicious chicken recipes to try,
If you try making this Creamy Mushroom Chicken Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken Recipe
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut in half lengthwise (or 4 chicken breast cutlets)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour - for dredging
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 12 oz mushrooms - (baby bella, cremini, etc) sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 5 cloves garlic
- splash of white wine - optional (substitute with 1 tbsp lemon juice)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese - shredded
- fresh thyme, fresh parsley, or crushed red pepper - to garnish (optional)
- Slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise to make four thinner chicken breast cutlets. Season both sides with salt, black pepper, and paprika, before transferring them to a large bag filled with 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Dredge to coat.
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil plus 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Once the pan is hot, add the chicken, gently shaking to remove any excess flour before adding to the skillet. Sear the chicken for approximately 3-5 minutes on each side, or until golden and nearly cooked through. Remove chicken and transfer to a clean plate. Set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, melt the remaining butter and add the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms until golden and they start to release their water. Season with Italian seasoning and add the minced garlic. Continue to cook, stirring often, until most of the water has evaporated (cooked off).
- Remove the mushrooms to a clean plate or the same plate as the chicken. Deglaze the skillet with a splash of white wine (optional) or lemon juice. Scrape up any stuck-on brown bits.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low and add the heavy cream and grated parmesan cheese. Mix well to combine. Return the chicken and mushrooms back to the pan and allow everything to cook, altogether, for 3-4 minutes, or until heated through and the creamy mushroom sauce has thickened.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed, and garnish with fresh thyme if desired. Enjoy!
- I highly recommend slicing your chicken breasts in half. It reduces overall cook time and helps prevent your chicken breasts from being burnt/overcooked on the outside.
- You may also make this recipe using boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Omit the all-purpose flour to make this recipe gluten-free and keto-approved.
- If you are sensitive to lactose, swap the butter for coconut oil or ghee, use canned coconut milk in place of the heavy cream, and omit the parmesan cheese.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)