We are leaving for a four day camping trip bright and early tomorrow morning. My husband is so excited, you would think he was five and tomorrow was Christmas morning. I, on the other hand, love the idea of four days out in nature and sleeping in a tent with a toddler and puppy, but I am simply too overwhelmed by the work that this trip requires (and we haven’t even left yet).
Octavian must sense my stress level and is up in his room refusing to nap. I am hoping that he will fall asleep in the 5 minutes or so that I spend down stairs chatting with you guys, but he’s been fighting hard for 90 minutes now, so the odds are pretty low.
I am optimistic, however, that my attitude will be much better once we’re actually on the road tomorrow. I am very nervous that all the stuff we have won’t fit in our car, but if we can get past that hurdle, we’ll be set to go!
Anyway, chicken…delicious, herb marinated grilled chicken. Let’s discuss the marinade-
Made of simple ingredients like garlic, olive oil and as many different fresh herbs you can get your hands on, this marinade is bursting with amazing flavors without a lot of work. The marinade isn’t just great with chicken; saute with shrimp and add to noodles. So simple, but so good and it makes for an easy weeknight dinner.
(It’s a big hit with the kids, too :))
For this chicken I decided to eat it with pita bread, greek yogurt and fresh chopped veggies. You can also serve with hummus or tzatziki, or with a side of rice.
*Update: No nap. Instead he decided to knock frames from his wall, take off his diaper and pee all over his bed.
Grilled Marinated Chicken Skewers with Fresh HerbsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs - cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup herb marinade - recipe below
- 1 lemon - juiced
- Bamboo Skewers
For the marinade:
- 1.5 cup fresh parsley - chopped fine
- 1 cup fresh cilantro - chopped fine
- 1/2 cup fresh basil - chopped fine
- 6 cloves garlic - fresh, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger - grated fresh
- 1.75 cups olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for 15 minutes to prevent burning.
- To prepare marinade- place all ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and fresh pepper.
- Place cubed chicken pieces in a bowl and add approximately 1/4-1/2 cup of the marinade, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Mix well to combine.
- Skewer the chicken pieces and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow chicken to marinate.
- Meanwhile turn your grill on medium-high. When grill is ready place the skewers on the grilling surface, leaving space between each skewer to ensure even cooking. Since the marinade already has oil in it, additional oil is not necessary. Depending on the size of your chicken pieces, cook each side of your skewers for approximately 3-4 minutes (total of 12-16 minutes). With each turn baste with additional marinade.
- Check for doneness and remove skewers from the grill. Serve with pita, hummus, tzatziki, and fresh veggies.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)