Ground Turkey Tacos that are quick, easy, healthy, and made with perfectly seasoned lean ground turkey. Ready in under 30 minutes, these delicious tacos are the perfect dinner solution for busy weeknights.
Ground Turkey for Tacos
So easy to make, this mouthwatering ground turkey taco meat is made by cooking lean ground turkey with taco seasoning and pureed tomatoes. Ready in less than 20 minutes, use it to make tacos, or add it to taco salads, taco soup, or cheesy taco pasta.
And while ground turkey taco meat may be lighter (and a whole lot healthier) than ground beef taco meat, it is just as flavorful, delicious, and juicy.
I usually double (and sometimes triple) this recipe. The leftovers are delicious for at least 3-4 days and are perfect for meal prepping easy, high-protein lunches and dinners.
What is the Best Ground Turkey for Tacos?
I like to make this recipe with ground turkey breast (99% lean, and 1% fat). Unlike whole chicken or turkey breasts which tend to dry out when overcooked, this ground turkey is broken up into smaller pieces and is cooked with a little tomato sauce so it stays moist and juicy. If I plan to double the recipe, I will add one pound of ground turkey breast and one pound of ground turkey thigh meat (94% lean, 6% fat).
Ground Turkey Taco Seasoning
You can use your favorite store-bought taco seasoning or make your own. My favorite homemade taco seasoning for both ground beef and ground turkey includes the following seasoning and spices,
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Ground cumin
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
How to Cook Ground Turkey for Tacos
Get started by heating the oil in a large 12-inch skillet set over medium heat. Add and cook the onions until softened, about 5-8 minutes. If the onions start to burn, reduce the heat slightly.
Increase the heat to medium-high and add the ground turkey. Immediately start to break the turkey into smaller, bite-sized pieces using a wooden spoon or spatula.
Fully cook the ground turkey then drain about half of the liquid from the pan.
Return the skillet back to medium heat and add the seasoning and spices and tomato sauce. Mix well to combine. Continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
Assemble into tacos with all your favorite toppings!
Some of my go-to taco toppings include,
- Sour cream
- Avocado or guacamole
- Fresh lime juice
- Diced Jalapeños
- Red or green onion
- Salsa or homemade pico de gallo
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Shredded lettuce or cabbage
- Chopped tomatoes
Can you Freeze Leftover Turkey Taco Meat?
Yes! And it’s super easy to do.
To freeze: First, allow your meat to cool to room temperature. Next, divide the meat between the desired number of freezer-friendly bags or containers (I love these freezer-friendly reusable silicone bags). Remember to label how much taco meat is inside each bag.
To thaw: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, or place the bag in a large bowl filled with warm water. Allow the meat to loosen up enough to remove from the bag and either transfer to a skillet or microwave-safe bowl to reheat completely.
How to Serve
Serve your tacos with a side of Mexican rice or Spanish-style rice, refried beans, and a small serving of shredded iceberg lettuce. Other popular sides include chips and salsa, pico de gallo, guacamole, and margaritas!
Have you tried making this Ground Turkey Tacos Recipe?
Tell me about it in the comments below! I always love to hear your thoughts. And tag me #theforkedspoon on Instagram if you’ve made any of my recipes, I always love to see what you’re cooking in the kitchen.
The Best Turkey Tacos Recipe (Ground Turkey Taco Meat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion - diced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey - (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder - only if you like a little spice/heat
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch - optional
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Heat the oil in a large 12-inch skillet set over medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the onions are soft, stirring often to prevent burning.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add the ground turkey to the skillet and use a large wooden spoon or spatula to break the turkey into smaller, bite-size pieces.
- Fully cook the ground turkey then carefully drain about half of the liquid from the pan.
- Return to medium-high heat and add the spices and the tomato sauce to the ground turkey and onions. Mix well to combine. Continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Serve wrapped in flour or corn tortillas with all your favorite toppings! Enjoy!
- I like to double the recipe and purchase one pound of ground turkey breast (1% fat) and one pound of ground turkey thigh meat. That’s what you see in the images above.
- You can also make a large-batch homemade taco seasoning mix! Per 1 pound of ground meat, you’ll want to use approximately 1 – 1.5 tablespoons of taco seasoning.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)