Ground Turkey Tacos made with lean ground turkey and seasoned to juicy, flavorful perfection! Quick, easy, and healthier than your favorite ground beef tacos, have your own ground turkey taco meat ready in under 30 minutes and use to make turkey tacos, taco salads, or burritos.
I made these ground turkey tacos just two days ago for Cinco de Mayo and I’m already planning to make them again this weekend.
So easy to make, this ground turkey taco meat is made with lean ground turkey and mixed with taco seasoning and pureed tomatoes. Ready in less than 20 minutes, use it to make tacos or add it to taco salads, taco soup, or cheesy taco pasta.
And while ground turkey taco meat may be lighter (and a whole lot healthier) than ground beef taco meat, it is just as flavorful, delicious, and juicy.
I usually double (and sometimes triple) this recipe. The leftovers are delicious for at least 3-4 days and perfect for meal prepping easy, high-protein lunches and dinners.
What is the Best Ground Turkey for Tacos?
Personally, I like to make this recipe with ground turkey breast which is 90% lean, 1% fat. Unlike whole chicken or turkey breasts which dry out when overcooked, ground turkey (especially when broken up into small pieces and cooked with a little tomato sauce), never tastes dry to me.
With that said, I almost always double this recipe whenever I make it.
In this case, I add one pound of ground turkey breast and one pound of ground turkey thigh meat (94% lean, 6% fat).
How to Make the Best Ground Turkey Tacos
Get started by heating the oil in a large 12-inch skillet set over medium heat. Add and cook the onions until softened, about 5-8 minutes. If the onions start to burn, reduce the heat slightly.
Increase the heat to medium-high and add the ground turkey. Immediately start to break the turkey into smaller, bite-sized pieces using a wooden spoon or spatula.
Fully cook the ground turkey then drain about half of the liquid from the pan.
Return the skillet back to medium-high heat and add the seasoning and spices and tomato sauce. Mix well to combine. Continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
Assemble into tacos with all your favorite toppings!
Some of my go-to taco toppings include,
- Sour cream
- Avocado or guacamole
- Fresh lime juice
- Diced Jalapeños
- Red or green onion
- Salsa or homemade pico de gallo
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded lettuce or cabbage
- Chopped tomatoes
Make it a Meal
Enjoy your Taco Tuesday (or any taco night) with a side or two. Here are a few of my family’s favorites:
- Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
- Refried Beans (How to Make Refried Black Beans)
- Classic Margarita Recipe
- Easy Mango Salsa Recipe
- Arroz con Leche Recipe (Mexican Rice Pudding)
- Easy Mexican Rice Recipe
Can you Freeze Leftover Turkey Taco Meat?
Yes! And it’s super easy to do.
To freeze any leftover ground turkey taco meat, first allow your meat to cool to room temperature. Next, divide the meat between the desired number of freezer-friendly bags or containers (I love these freezer-friendly reusable silicone bags). Remember to label how much taco meat is inside each bag.
Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, or place the bag in a large bowl filled with warm water. Allow the meat to loosen up enough to remove from the bag and either transfer to a skillet or microwave-safe bowl to reheat completely.
Looking for more ground turkey recipes? Try these reader favorites:
- Ground Turkey Molé Tostada Stacks
- Easy Russian Cabbage Soup with Ground Turkey
- Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
- Mediterranean Grilled Turkey Burgers
- Buffalo Turkey Meatballs
- Easy Meatballs Recipe (and How to Freeze Them!)
Have you tried making this Ground Turkey Tacos Recipe?
Tell me about it in the comments below! I always love to hear your thoughts. And tag me #theforkedspoon on Instagram if you’ve made any of my recipes, I always love to see what you’re cooking in the kitchen.
The Best Turkey Tacos Recipe (Ground Turkey Taco Meat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey ((see notes))
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder (only if you like a little spice/heat)
- ½ tsp cornstarch (optional)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Heat the oil in a large 12-inch skillet set over medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the onions are soft, stirring often to prevent burning.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add the ground turkey to the skillet and use a large wooden spoon or spatula to break the turkey into smaller, bite-size pieces.
- Fully cook the ground turkey then carefully drain about half of the liquid from the pan.
- Return to medium-high heat and add the spices and the tomato sauce to the ground turkey and onions. Mix well to combine. Continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Serve with all your favorite toppings! Enjoy!
- I like to double the recipe and purchase one pound of ground turkey breast (1% fat) and one pound of ground turkey thigh meat. That's what you see in the images above.
- You can also make a large-batch homemade taco seasoning mix! Per 1 pound of ground meat, you'll want to use approximately 1 - 1.5 tablespoons of taco seasoning.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)