Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes are fluffy, creamy, and so easy to make! Ready in about 40 minutes, learn how to cook perfect sweet potatoes every time using your favorite electric pressure cooker or Instant Pot.
Cooking Sweet Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Just like regular potatoes, sweet potatoes are delicious – especially when they’ve been prepared and cooked properly.
From perfectly baked sweet potatoes to sweet potato fries, roasted sweet potatoes with veggies to pureed soup, the methods of cooking, and the many uses for this sweet tuber extend as far as the imagination will wander.
The one cooking method, however, that I return to time and time again is the Instant Pot.
Why you’ll love cooking sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot:
- Your sweet potatoes will cook at least 15 minutes faster than in the oven
- Perfectly tender, creamy, silky centers
- Just pop them in your Instant Pot and walk away
- Perfect for a fast weeknight dinner
When convenience is key, Instant Pot sweet potatoes are the way to go. Keep reading to learn how to make them for your next family dinner.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in Instant Pot
Measure (or estimate) the width of your whole sweet potatoes. Wash the potatoes under cold running water.
Use a fork to poke holes on all sides of each potato.
Arrange the sweet potatoes on top of the trivet or metal steamer basket – a single layer or stacked double layer is fine. Place the lid on your Instant Pot and secure the lid.
Cook on HIGH pressure, “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode according to the times listed below.
Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes then quick release and allow the remaining pressure to release.
How Long to Cook Sweet Potatoes in the Instant Pot?
The total amount of time will depend on the size of your potatoes.
- Small (less than 2 inches): 18 minutes + 10 minutes natural pressure release
- Medium (2-3 inches): 25 minutes + 10 minutes natural pressure release
- Large (3-4 inches): 35 minutes + 10 minutes natural pressure release
If you have sweet potatoes that are especially round and fat, try cutting them in half to expedite cooking.
How to Serve Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
Enjoy your perfectly fluffy pressure cooker sweet potatoes topped with,
- Maple syrup
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Shredded chicken
- Sour cream
Alternatively, Instant Pot sweet potatoes are perfect for mashing and pureeing. Add to your favorite soups and sauces, or combine with pureed butternut squash for a healthy side dish.
Tips and Tricks
- Pick sweet potatoes that are similar in size. This will make for more evenly cooked potatoes.
- Avoid sweet potatoes that are especially long as they may not fit.
- Always set your sweet potatoes on the metal trivet or inside a steamer basket as this prevents them from sitting inside the water as they cook and helps prevent them from getting waterlogged and soggy.
- Remember to poke your potatoes with a fork before cooking. The last thing we want is a sweet potato bursting as it cooks.
- As long as your potatoes are about the same size, the total cooking time will stay the same regardless of how many potatoes are being cooked.
Storing and Reheating Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Storing: Keep leftover cooked potatoes stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freezing: Allow the potatoes to cool completely then wrap each sweet potato individually – first in plastic wrap and then in foil. Freeze for up to 3-4 months and thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Reheating: Reheat in a preheated 350 F oven or in the microwave.
Have you tried making Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes?
Tell me about it in the comments below! I always love to hear your thoughts. And tag me #theforkedspoon on Instagram if you’ve made any of my recipes, I always love to see what you’re cooking in the kitchen.
Perfect Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup cold water
- Place 1 cup of water inside the inner pot of a 6-quart Instant Pot (1.5 cups to an 8 quart Instant Pot) and place the metal trivet or steamer basket at the bottom of the pot.
- Measure or estimate the approximate width of each sweet potato (for best results, cook potatoes that are similar in size). Thoroughly wash your potatoes and use a fork to poke each sweet potato 4-5 times.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes on top of the trivet and secure the lid. Turn the steam release valve to the sealing position. Press or turn the knob to select the "Manual" or " Pressure Cook" option. Cook on HIGH pressure. Set the time according to the thickness of your potatoes:small (less than 2 inches) – 18 minutesmedium (2-3 inches) – 25 minuteslarge (3-4 inches) – 35 minutes
- When the total cooking time ends and your Instant Pot beeps, natural release for 10 minutes then turn the steam release valve to the venting position and allow the remaining pressure to release.
- Carefully remove the sweet potatoes and serve topped with all your favorite toppings.
- There is no need to add additional time to your Instant Pot if you plan to cook more than 4 sweet potatoes.
- If your sweet potatoes are not cooked all the way through, place the lid back on your Instant Pot and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Always add cold water to your Instant Pot, should you add hot water the cooking time will be altered.
- Cooked sweet potatoes will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Sweet potatoes are naturally gluten-free, vegan, low fat, dairy-free.
- Remember – it will take your Instant Pot approximately 10 minutes to reach full pressure before the potatoes start cooking.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)