Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes are quick, easy, and guaranteed delicious with creamy, fluffy, and deliciously silky insides. Ready in about 40 minutes, learn how to cook perfect sweet potatoes every time using your favorite electric pressure cooker or Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes: Easy, Fast, Convenient
Just like regular potatoes, sweet potatoes are delicious – especially when prepared and cooked properly.
There is one cooking method, however, that I return to time and time again – the Instant Pot.
Now, don’t get me wrong, seasoned and naturally caramelized oven-roasted sweet potatoes will give a more flavorful dish, but the Instant Pot is all about convenience.
Reasons why you’ll love cooking sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot,
- Fast and easy – your sweet potatoes will cook at least 15 minutes faster than in the oven
- Perfectly tender, creamy, silky centers
- Just pop them in your Instant Pot and walk away
- Perfect for a fast weeknight dinner
When convenience is key, Instant Pot sweet potatoes are the way to go. Keep reading to learn how to make them for your next family dinner.
How Long to Cook Sweet Potatoes in the Instant Pot?
The amount of time required to cook your sweet potatoes will depend on the size of your potatoes.
- Small sweet potatoes (less than 2 inches): 18 minutes + 10 minutes natural pressure release
- Medium sweet potatoes (2-3 inches): 25 minutes + 10 minutes natural pressure release
- Large sweet potatoes (3-4 inches): 35 minutes + 10 minutes natural pressure release
If you have sweet potatoes that are especially round and fat, try cutting them in half to expedite cooking.
How to Cook Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Prepare your Instant Pot: Add 1 cup of cold water to the inner pot of a 6-quart Instant Pot or 1.5 cups cold water to an 8-quart Instant Pot. Place the metal trivet or steamer basket inside the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Measure (or estimate) the width of your sweet potatoes. Wash your potatoes under cold running water.
- Use a fork to poke holes on all sides of each potato.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes on top of the trivet or metal steamer basket – a single layer or double layer is fine. Place the lid on your Instant Pot and secure the lid.
- Turn the steam release valve to the sealing position. Cook on HIGH pressure, “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode according to the times listed above.
- Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes then quick release and allow the remaining pressure to release.
How to Serve
Whole sweet potatoes that are cooked in the Instant Pot are best enjoyed in a few different ways.
The first is simple, simply slice it open and serve it topped with all your favorites. A few of my favorite toppings include,
- Maple syrup
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Shredded chicken
- Sour cream
It’s easy to enjoy these sweet potatoes as a simple side, or stuffed with ground taco meat for a complete (and healthy!) meal.
Alternatively, Instant Pot sweet potatoes are perfect for mashing and pureeing. Add to your favorite soups, sauces, or combine with pureed butternut squash for a healthy side dish.
Tips and Tricks
- Pick sweet potatoes that are similar in size. This will make for more evenly cooked potatoes.
- Avoid sweet potatoes that are especially long as they may not fit.
- Always set your sweet potatoes on the metal trivet or inside a steamer basket as this prevents them from sitting inside the water as they cook and helps prevent them from getting waterlogged and soggy.
- Remember to poke your potatoes with a fork before cooking. The last thing we want is a sweet potato bursting as it cooks.
More Instant Pot Recipes,
If you try making these Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Perfect Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup cold water
- Place 1 cup of water inside the inner pot of a 6-quart Instant Pot (1.5 cups to an 8 quart Instant Pot) and place the metal trivet or steamer basket at the bottom of the pot.
- Measure or estimate the approximate width of each sweet potato (for best results, cook potatoes that are similar in size). Thoroughly wash your potatoes and use a fork to poke each sweet potato 4-5 times.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes on top of the trivet and secure the lid. Turn the steam release valve to the sealing position. Press or turn the knob to select the "Manual" or " Pressure Cook" option. Cook on HIGH pressure. Set the time according to the thickness of your potatoes:small (less than 2 inches) - 18 minutesmedium (2-3 inches) - 25 minuteslarge (3-4 inches) - 35 minutes
- When the total cooking time ends and your Instant Pot beeps, natural release for 10 minutes then turn the steam release valve to the venting position and allow the remaining pressure to release.
- Carefully remove the sweet potatoes and serve topped with all your favorite toppings.
- There is no need to add additional time to your Instant Pot if you plan to cook more than 4 sweet potatoes.
- If your sweet potatoes are not cooked all the way through, place the lid back on your Instant Pot and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Always add cold water to your Instant Pot, should you add hot water the cooking time will be altered.
- Cooked sweet potatoes will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Sweet potatoes are naturally gluten-free, vegan, low fat, dairy-free.
- Remember - it will take your Instant Pot approximately 10 minutes to reach full pressure before the potatoes start cooking.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)