This Pepperoni Mac and Cheese Skillet Recipe has been sponsored by Real California Milk but all content and opinions expressed here are my own. Thanks for reading!
Two classic childhood favorites come together in this Pepperoni Mac and Cheese Skillet. Ready in just 30 minutes, it’s guaranteed to have your kids begging for more!
YOU GUYSSSS, the only thing I can really say about this big, beautiful cheese and noodle-filled skillet is that it is pretty much the most amazing thing I have ever made.
In my life.
I literally could not stop shoveling this beautiful pasta in my mouth. And I wasn’t the only one! My husband and the pickiest child ever (aka my child) joined in! When husband finally came up for air he said, “OMG, it’s like crack”.
He doesn’t know what crack is like. I don’t either. BUT, if there was a food equivalent to crack, I’m guessing this would be it. I mean, it’s basically the love child made from pizza and mac and cheese, so the deliciousness totally makes sense.
If you’re vegetarian you could totally skip the pepperoni. However, if you aren’t, I highly recommend that you leave the pepperoni right where it is. I know, I know, I can’t believe I’m saying it either, but sometimes certain things are better left as is.
pa- the leftovers are great in kiddos lunchboxes.
For more pasta recipes check out,
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 15 Minute Angel Hair Pasta Recipe with Chicken
- Creamy Sausage Pasta with Kale and Burrata
- Spring Pea Pasta with Prosciutto and Burrata Cheese
- Sun Dried Tomato + Basil Pesto Pasta with Shrimp
- Tequila Lime Pasta with Chicken
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS PEPPERONI MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE TO PREPARE FOR YOUR FAMILY AS AN EASY 30 MINUTE WEEKNIGHT MEAL OR ANYTIME YOU CAN’T DECIDE BETWEEN PIZZA OR PASTA FOR DINNER!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Pepperoni Mac and Cheese Skillet
- 1 pound elbow macaroni - cooked to al dente (plus 1 cup reserved pasta water)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion - minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 oz pepperoni slices - (1 package)
- salt + pepper - to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook macaroni according to package instructions. Once cooked to al dente, reserve one cup of pasta water and drain noodles. Rinse with cool water and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Push the onions to the far side of the skillet and reduce heat to medium-low. Add the butter to the skillet. As the butter melts slowing whisk in the flour, creating a roux. Do not burn.
- Slowly whisk in the milk with the roux and reincorporate the onions. With the milk fully incorporated, whisk in the pizza sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, if needed. Stir in 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and the cheddar cheese with the sauce and mix in the pre-cooked macaroni noodles and half of the pepperonis.
- If you would like to thin the sauce a little, stir in the reserved pasta sauce with the sauce and noodles (this is optional).
- Top the skillet with a single layer of pepperoni and sprinkle with remaining shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat oven to broil and broil for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and the top is starting to brown.