This Roasted Zucchini Recipe is so delicious and so easy to make. Ready in about 20 minutes, fresh zucchini squash is tossed with olive oil, simple seasonings, and grated parmesan cheese then roasted in the oven until tender. The perfect weeknight side dish.
Oven Roasted Zucchini
There are countless variations of roasted zucchini out there, but this version is my favorite. The ingredients are super simple but so flavorful and it’s ready in less than 20 minutes – about as long as it takes to cook chicken breasts in the air fryer or bake salmon in the oven.
I love this recipe year-round, but it’s especially useful in the summer months when zucchini is in season and everyone you know is giving it away for free. Less hands-on than sauteed zucchini, the parmesan cheese is what really brings life to this otherwise simple vegetable.
How Long to Roast Zucchini
- How long to roast zucchini at 400°F – approximately 10-12 minutes (plus 2 minutes broil)
- How long to roast zucchini at 425°F – approximately 8-10 minutes (plus 2 minutes broil)
- How long to roast zucchini at 450°F – approximately 6-8 minutes (plus 2 minutes broil)
Note: Cooking time will vary based on the type of oven used and how thick each zucchini was sliced.
How to Roast Zucchini
- Preheat the oven and prepare baking sheets: Preheat the oven to 450°F and line baking sheets with foil. You may only need just one baking sheet, but for 2 pounds of zucchini, I usually need two.
- Prepare the zucchini: Wash and dry each zucchini then trim the woody base, or end, from each. There is no need to peel before cooking, zucchini skin is very thin and actually helps prevent the zucchini from becoming too mushy. Cut zucchini into 1/2-inch thick rounds.
- Season: Toss the zucchini with olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese in a large bowl.
- Arrange the zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheets: Place them in a single, non-overlapping layer. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Roast the zucchini: Roast for 6-8 minutes, then broil for an additional 2 minutes.
Roasted Zucchini Recipe Tips
- You can make this recipe with zucchini and yellow squash.
- Slice the zucchini so that they are roughly equal thickness – about 1/2 inch. This allows for even cooking.
- Allow space between each zucchini on the baking sheet. This helps prevent steaming and sogginess.
- Try adding different seasonings like Italian seasoning or taco seasoning.
Have you tried making this Roasted Zucchini Recipe?
Tell me about it in the comments below! I always love to hear your thoughts. And tag me #theforkedspoon on Instagram if you’ve made any of my recipes, I always love to see what you’re cooking in the kitchen.
Roasted Zucchini with Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line 2 large baking sheets with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl. Drizzle the zucchini with olive oil and season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese. Gently toss zucchini to coat.
- Arrange the zucchini on the baking sheet in a single layer. Top with the remaining grated parmesan cheese.
- Cook zucchini on the center rack for 6-8 minutes, then broil for an additional 2 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown (this happens quickly, so don't walk away).
- Garnish with minced parsley, if desired. Best served immediately.
- This recipe is best enjoyed immediately.
- Storage: Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container and in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheating: You may reheat roasted zucchini in the microwave until heated through or on a baking sheet in a preheated 400 degrees f oven.
- Freezing: This recipe does not freeze well.
- This recipe is low-carb and gluten-free.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)